Unloaded calipers

I need to replace a rear caliper on my SHO. I can get an unloaded caliper for $17 vs. a loaded on for $45 from Advance. I only need to use this for a few months as I plan to go with a 13"/11.6" set-up around late spring/early summer, therefore I dont want to invest too much money into a rear caliper that I’ll be ditching.

Are there any special tools to assembling an unloaded caliper? I’ve taken one apart before to inspect it…I assume this is the same process for loading calipers???

Or…how easy is it to rapair a caliper that has frozen up on me twice now in the past year (and killed the rotor/pad with it).

a loaded caliper comes with pads where an unloaded doesnt thats the main difference. you wont need a tool just a brake bleeder or a wrench . our loaded calipers at autozone usually come in pairs

Isn’t loaded vs unloaded just talking about coming with pads? Maybe I’m mistaken.

Beaten. :bloated:

yes it is like i said, and when they sell loaded they most likely come in a pair therefore the big price difference

Well looks like I’m an idiot and didn’t notice that in the pics! I should go to bed…I’m not all there right now.

have you ever replaced them before? i ask because most calipers come with a lifetime warranity. if you did already replace them check with where you bought them for an existing warrinty.

F-that! No reason to run 11.6" brakes in the rear. THe stock 10.2" are fine. Even for a full weight track car. Get a set of 90-92 vented rears in stock size. then go 13’s in the front. Why add extra weight for no reason? These pigs are heavy enough.

Does yours have the bias plugs, Mike? I’d have to agree with Ron here, I think it’s overkill. The fronts though, no doubt. Those are the Cobra discs, IIRC.

the 10.2" are more than enough, once under full braking the valve in back (assuming it’s functional still) removes almost all rear braking power. Even installing working rear calipers provided next to no difference on the track with my old 89’. That said if you are trying to fill some 17" wheels it would work nicely. :slight_smile:

Well I guess it’s the ricer in me wanting to run the 11.6’s in back:) I have a few other reasons; my Mustang runs the Cobra 13/11.6 set up and I have this little thing where I like to give my SHO the same treatment as the Mustang…both are black/black '93’s, 5 spd, lowered, 17’s, etc…so having the same brake set-up would be “cool”. Also, I have a nearly brand new set of 11.6’s (thanks Fuzzy’s old car) that I can throw on in the back for free, and just buy calipers and rotors for the 13’s up front. Plus, filling the wheels with big brakes is never a bad idea…and to those who know me and the SHO know this will never be a track car, so I’m not worried about something being overkill.

So who has a spare caliper/rotor laying around for a '93:)

Never replaced them…but the last time they looked up I took them apart, cleaned them up and threw 'em back in. Now, they’re pretty much dead so no chance of reviving them…or warrantying them:(

You work at autozone kev??? Whats up awith a discount, i just spent like $300 on parts for my 98 accord.

ya i work there part time, shoulda asked me lol

Which one, on seneca st.???

no tranist and walden

Which one?

post #15

Ahh, PM which days you work so I can come in and steal APC shit:)

cool only problem is APC went out of buiness last week, we got a email last week that they went under and we had to pull all the books and shit

have u worked with Adam yet???