Used ibook

do you think its worth spending around 300 bucks for a used ibook g4??? are they reliable? whats wrong with getting a used one? ill just be getting it to do shit while traveling or laying in bed. used for: interent wifi, music, movies, write ups.

tell me what you guys think or any experiences you had.

and heres something else ive been thinking on wasting my money on-
Ibook vs. itouch which one should i get

what are the specs

ibook > touch.

i thought about getting a touch and read quite a few reviews. i’m not a fan of not being able to edit my calendar on the go. the touch won’t let you add events. also you can only go online if you’re in a wifi hot spot. so its kind of pointless, it’d be better to go with the iphone.

specs on the ibook?

i have one that’s 3 years old and it runs great with barely any RAM. 512 MB to be exact and a 1.42 GHz processor. it gets a little slow when i have Adobe products, garage band or imovie open with safari and adium open. But for work I have mail, excel, safari, adium, stickies and itunes open. Its running fine.

i have a g4 ibook with .5gig ram and it suites my needs well for email, internet, im, etc…

i like the tough because of the apps you can put on it like games, and its a touch…

i think ill end up getting an ibook on craigslist. anything to look out for? like all the damaged things people hide when selling.

the g4 on cl: $340
Processor: PowerPC G4 1.42 GHz
Screen Size: 14.1" TFT active matrix XGA
Memory: 1024 MB (installed), DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 120 GB, 4200 rpm
Optical Storage: DVD+RW/-RW, integrated
Networking: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
Weight:6 lbs
Included Operating System: Apple MacOS X 10.4
Apple iSight
warranty until march 2008, comes with everything it came with it + iSight

G3: $250
700 Mhz G3
640 MB RAM (Maximum amount)
20 GB HDD
Built-in AirPort card

get the g4.

if you can, try making sure that it recognizes flash drives, lan card work, wifi works, bluetooth, etc… More or less just test that all plugs work and when you turn it on, see what the battery calculator has to say about how long the battery is going to last. on a full charge, mine usually goes for ~2-3 hours.

oh and def. get the g4 ibook, dont get a g3

alright thanks for the heads up. ill deff try all these when i go take a look at it.

yeah, you dont really want any suprises on that time when you need to plug into a wired network and find out the lan card doesnt work.

They’re old, just remember that.

The gf’s ibook is still kicking, but its 1 thing at a time. 1-2 minute wait between closing and opening programs. Its nice to have as a basic internet machine, but anything graphics-wise murders it.

The G4 is a good deal. Get it.

a one to two minute wait? how the fuck old is hers. Mine is still plenty snappy, its only around 2 years old.

1.1ghz I think.

feels like waiting for paint to dry to me

how much ram? definitely shouldnt be that slow

512 :gotme:

prolly original osx install too

ive got the same configuration on mine and it runs just fine. likely not as fast as a dual-core setup but not slow either.

I have one also, its slow but it does the job. i only paid $70. I let my girl use it and I use it sometimes when I am down stairs watching TV. I wont let her on my PC.

alright scrap the g4 idea. apparenlty the lady moved to the UK but still posts on CL. and say she wants to ship through some company called TNT, fishy…

jdm: where you pay 70 for an ibook?