Which Head Unit Brand Do You Prefer?

ive had all pioneer and they still seem the best. all functions and setup on them are incredibly easy

pioneer. have had them in many cars, and never have had a problem with one of them. also very skip resistant.

alpine

This has only been dead for a month, but I feel like putting in my $.02. For what it’s worth, one of my cars runs an alpine 9831 and the other runs an Eclipse 3434 and neither run on their internal amplifiers.

[quote=“Devioustsi,post:32,topic:24058"”]

I have never heard one but I’m not a fan of what I see…

Heres one of the nakamichi’s
Nakamichi CD-700II

HIGH End CD single Receiver

$1,299.00

Technical Specification

• WMA Playback: No good, unless you have WMA lossless, it sounds like crap
  • Satellite Radio Ready: No satellite radio quality doesn’t match CD’s yet
  • Preamp Voltage: 5 volts excellent
  • MP3 playback: No good. the next time i hear a shitty mp3 on a nice stereo i will kill someone
  • Maximum Power: No Watts beautiful. Internal amplifiers make baby jesus cry.
  • HD Radio: No mediocre sound quality isn’t the point of this deck
  • DIN: 1
  • Changer Control: Yes
  • CD Text: Yes
  • Bluetooth: No
  • Aux input: Yes
  • CD-R/CD-RW Compatible: Yes
  • Detachable Face: No

Features

• Uncompromising sound quality
  • Hand-selected left and right channel 24-bit D/A converters
  • 4-gang rotary analog volume control
  • Selectable Analog/Digital CD changer inputs
  • 5-volt preamplifier output
  • Safe and reliable disc handling
  • Noise rejection shielding
  • Aluminum faceplate and volume control knob
  • CD changer controller
  • 3-D Viscous suspension
  • Anti-Roll stabilizer
  • 24bit Ladder-type D/A converter
  • 4-Gang Analog volume control

I mean I’m not really crazy about some of the headunits’ displays or general layouts but I don’t want to take it all the way back to the ‘stone age’ look to get rid of something like pioneers’ obsession with dolphins. Plus 1300 for a unit that isn’t even compatible with 5year old technology.:smash2:

[/quote]

The fact is, when you buy a nakamichi deck, you’re not buying it for glitzy graphics (frankly most new decks make me want to hurl my lunch), you’re not buying it for the ability to play garbage quality media, you’re buying it because you appreciate quality over all else, regardless of the other compromises.

The problem with audio, especially in such a flawed platform as a car, is that not only is it a very expensive hobby with very diminishing returns, but the acoustic environment of a car is horrific.

Honestly, the jump from factory to a nice basic deck, 4 channel, and decent 3 ways is huge. Going from there to components with their own crossovers is big, but not as big as the first jump. From there, you start getting into the botique level stuff, and some people can and do appreciate that.

Is it the right thing for the average person in their daily driver playing the radio or listening to mix cd’s? Of course not.

It doesn’t mean that it’s not still better. :wink:

[quote=“slugsgomoo,post:44,topic:24058"”]

This has only been dead for a month, but I feel like putting in my $.02. For what it’s worth, one of my cars runs an alpine 9831 and the other runs an Eclipse 3434 and neither run on their internal amplifiers.

The fact is, when you buy a nakamichi deck, you’re not buying it for glitzy graphics (frankly most new decks make me want to hurl my lunch), you’re not buying it for the ability to play garbage quality media, you’re buying it because you appreciate quality over all else, regardless of the other compromises.

The problem with audio, especially in such a flawed platform as a car, is that not only is it a very expensive hobby with very diminishing returns, but the acoustic environment of a car is horrific.

Honestly, the jump from factory to a nice basic deck, 4 channel, and decent 3 ways is huge. Going from there to components with their own crossovers is big, but not as big as the first jump. From there, you start getting into the botique level stuff, and some people can and do appreciate that.

Is it the right thing for the average person in their daily driver playing the radio or listening to mix cd’s? Of course not.

It doesn’t mean that it’s not still better. :wink:

[/quote]

I hear you completely. I also agree about how most headunit designs do look like shit. I would love to hear one of these units but from the specs it doesn’t look like it’s worth my coin.

probably not, unless you’re very loaded. :wink:

honestly though for good bang for the buck and SIMPLE looking, eclipse has kicked ass IMO. this is such a crappy picture but it gives you an idea. single color screen, no glitzy flashing garbage, just fantastic quality and high powered pre-outs. I’m still running an alpine v12 in the galant, but it works for my needs.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/300000-300999/300359_42_full.jpg

This is my eclipse…I love it Although I’m upgrading to an eclipse navigation double din. Either way it uses 5volt preouts to my eclipse pa5422.

[quote=“90NA300ZX,post:27,topic:24058"”]

why isn’t pioneer an option?

[/quote]

For real, that’s my choice.

[quote=“Joe,post:7,topic:24058"”]

I loved my Panasonic…no problems at all with it

[/quote]

x2
mine had Aux input threw the rear, I ran it into the glovebox so I could run the Ipod threw the glovebox.