Window Washer falls 47 stories... SURVIVES.

Holy shit, time to buy some lottery tickets.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/nyregion/04fall.html?em&ex=1199595600&en=a6cd1e14f02e1178&ei=5087

Alcides Moreno plunged 47 stories that morning last month, clinging to his 3-foot-wide window washer’s platform as it shot down the dark glass face of an Upper East Side apartment building. His brother Edgar, who had been working with him on the platform, was killed.

Somehow, Alcides Moreno survived. He was given roughly 24 pints of blood and 19 pints of plasma and underwent an operation to open his abdomen in the emergency room because, his doctor said, they did not want to risk moving him to an operating room. As December went on, he endured nine orthopedic operations.

Still, Dr. Barie suggested that Mr. Moreno had taken the team treating him into largely uncharted medical territory. Dr. Barie said Mr. Moreno’s medical team had had no experience with someone who had fallen so far. He said that falls from even three stories can be fatal if the victim hits his or her head on landing.

“Above 10 stories, most of the time we never see the patients because they usually go to the morgue,” Dr. Barie said, though he added that the staff at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell had treated — and had written a medical journal article about — a patient who survived a 19-story fall, less than half the distance Mr. Moreno fell.

miracle.

Saw this on the news, what the hell? Thats freeking insane.

I don’t understand how someone can fall 400+ ft and survive.

I’m sure he reached max. velocilty like half way down…
can anyone confirm that he landed on concrete, and not a big bowl of marshmellows?

Yea, prolly the insanely battered & beaten body, along with the month long coma, and years of rehab to come.

yahoo front page news man

imagine the things going through your head on your way towards the earth from approx say 450+ feet? holy shit, thats enough to give you a heart attack before you ever even hit the ground.

Or a cruel joke of life?

Was it even a free fall? or was the platform sliding down the cables? I would think that there was something slowing that thing down at least a little bit.