WTB: rear MTB shock (replacement for Cane Creek AD-8)

I’ve got an old Jamis Dakar Team (1999-2000-ish) that I unexpectedly “separated” the piston assembly on its original rear air shock, a Cane Creek AD-8. From what I understand, it’s a “6.5x1.5” shock, so I believe anything within those dimensions will work. I’d like to find something with a lockout mechanism of some sort, preferrably sticking with an air shock.

If anyone has more knowledge on this and could help me out with any details I’m missing, it would be greatly appreciated.

Not looking to spend too terrbily much on one; so if you have something kicking around as a spare or ununsed, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Bump - still looking. Anything 6.5x1.5/165x38. Preferably with a lockout, or if anyone (for some ridiculous reason) has a replacement piston for a Cane Creek AD-8.

if you go on volvospeed.com and message this guy http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/user/16819-che-moderator/ he actually owns the fourm hes huuuuggee with mtb and knows everything about them

Look for a used fox float. easy and cheap to rebuild and has a lockout. Was the damper on my old FSR and it was great.

Will do- thanks, sir!

That’s the other issue I’m having- I borrowed a donor fox air vanilla and the stroke is too small, believe it or not. Is 6.5x1.5 or 165/38 that odd of a shock travel spec? or is it so old now that the dimension is just unavailable?

I had a marzocchi roco 4-way with a Ti spring kicking around somewhere but I think it’s like 8.5" eye to eye. It was on an old DH bike of mine but that’s probably way too big. I’ve also got a “pushed” Fox float R on an old Ironhorse frame I’m not using. It has no lockout and ill have to look up the dimensions but I may be able to part ways with it if it’ll fit and you’re interested.

Edit: damn I looked it up it looks like its 7.5" eye to eye with a 2" stroke.

Edit #2: this might fit the bill:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=43766&category=2641

The only problem you may run into is with mounting hardware not being compatible between brands. I remember when I bought the marzocchi I couldn’t find the right size mounting spacers anywhere. I had to have Boxersix tweak some spacers for me that were too large.

Hmmm - can you check on your Fox float r’s dimensions for me- if that would work, even better. I’m contemplating just getting a replacement shock and stuffing it in for now to ride- and hopefully get a newer hardtail eventually…

I actually found a used cane creek that I’m waiting to hear back on. :tbu

Float R’s are typically 200mm with about a 50mm stroke. Have you looked to see if you can put a 200mm in there. Is there an adjustable drop link that would allow you to do so without changing the headtube angle. One reason why I like the triple front forks because you can adjust the stancions and get the angle back when dropping in a larger rear damper.

DT swiss makes a drop in shock though with a remote lockout that would fit the bike perfectly. It’s the M212 model.

I’ll have to check the clearance- but the way the linkage is set up, the (lower) shock pivot will hit the front of seat tube, I believe.

(not mine, but pic of same bike for reference)
http://shift518.com/picture.php?albumid=70&pictureid=1038

Gotcha, yeah that looks like it would be tough without modifying the forward mount on the frame to maintain the proper shock pivot geometry.

Yeah my float is 7.5x2 definitely.

Poop. Well thanks for checking though, sir- I’m still kinda holding out to hear back from this guy with the old Cane Creek AD-8- it would be nice to just bolt this one back in and go…

Saw this today and thought of this thread… http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/3572241637.html

If that guy isn’t willing to ship it, I can pick it up and throw it in a USPS box- you pay actual shipping. That’s really close to me, so it’s NBD.

I might have a 5th element coil over rear shock that would be a similar size. I’m pretty sure it would need a rebuild though…

Emailed the guy with the CL ad above- waiting to hear back from him- Thanks, sir!

10-4!

That Float on craigslist was the same one I had on my FSR. did it’s job well on that frame and that price is great. you could even rebuild it and still be under the price of a new one by far(not that it needs it as he said recent overhaul)

If you do rebuild it check out Push Industries. They’ll custom tune it to your liking. I had mine done to be a very linear stroke for the first 2/3 of travel then ramp up compression for the final third. Came back doing just that I was very satisfied with their work.

I found a Cane Creek AD-10 on ebay that I managed to snatch up (nice and cheap, just how I like them) - should be receiving it soon… if nothing else, it’ll bolt right in place. And rebuild kits are a dime a dozen for these things. And they’re quick/easy to rebuild.

I’m just hoping I don’t get lots of practice rebuilding it.

(I’ll close/move/lock this when I do get the new-to-me shock though)