Advice regarding car theft

So i have my car posted for sale on Kijiji

This is not a forsale thread!!! Do not reply in this thread about the car being forsale!!!

I have this one guy e-mailing me he started off as a low baller, then seemed like he was gaining more intrest. he requested a handfull of pictures which i sent until it got rediculous and i asked him to just come see it. now this guy is telling me that my 89 crx is an 88 and that this car was stolen from him etc. saying i stole it or bought it off of the one who did. He says it was stolen in AUG. 06 and it was reported and that the vins must have been stripped.

I have asked him numerous times to stop e-mailing me and harrassing me.
He is starting to worry me saying he will be seeing me soon and that he is going to go see the “rex” with a cop present and prove that its his and get it impounded. I asked him for his name so i could call the police and tell them he is harrassing me and that i am worried my car may get stolen because he says he knows my address and phone number and hes coming to see the “rex” soon he has me worried here is one of the newest by the min e-mails he is sending me.
“LoL BUDDY, what ur gonna call them on me saying this might be my rex thats al ive told u Buddy… U call em they will charge u with a useless report… Listen ill say it onemore time… If this rex is mine and i prove it the cops will be involved!”

I have no idea on the history of the car, the owner seemed kind of sketchy when selling it requesting my home addresses etc. if this car is stolen what happens? do i get charged ? do i lose the car? am i just plain SOL? is it even possible to just change a vin and sell a car to a guy ? would i have even been able to put it in my name?

Is there anything i can do?

Jeff

Move the car to a self storage place asap. Ignore all his calls/texts/emails. Break contact with him.

Save all emails, texts and record calls if you need to answer.

When you have sufficient proof of his harassment, call the police. If they don’t do anything, PM me, I know a few cops who will make sure they do something to stop the harassment.

If the car was stollen and sold to you. You still keep the car, you OWN it. Unless you knew otherwise that it was stollen. Insurrance should have reimburced him

I just got off the phone with 23rd division, they said keep the e-mails and tell the guy ive sold it already if he keeps e-mailing me (his only form of contact so far) bring in some e-mails to them. they also offered to run my vin for me and forewarned me if it was stolen i would have some explaining to do, hoping for the best i accepted and it came back clean. i hope this guy just disapears

lol, thats jokes… sorry

it is jokes but its still got me worried, i need to get some rest too much on the mind now ill review in the morning id still like advice from anyone, suggestions on how to find out his name ?!? I’m sure he doesn’t know where the car is because its listed at my address on my license and my add shows that its at my condo where im renting by the postal code but its not at either of those locations…even if it was at my condo it would be locked underground… this guy is freaky though he has sent approx 30 e-mails since midnight.

put the car in an undisclosed location until everything has been sorted out.

if he knew where u lived he would have showed up at ur door by now. i think he’s just tryin to scare you.

also, closly inpect the vin tag on the dash, look for evidence that its been tampered with.

also check the door jam sticker for any tampering

finally, check the vin stamp on the motor block, if honda’s/crx’s even have that. you’ll have to ask around, honda guys, forums, maybe even call the dealership, maybe they’ll know if the vin is stamped on the block. if the block does have a vin and it matches the rest, your 100% homefree, if the block has a vin stamp and it doesnt match no big deal, motors get swapped all day.

the fact that the vin u gave them came up clean means nothing, if the cops get involved they will figure it out

another e-mail to show you guys how whack he is
“The crx was stripped of the vin why never been recovered but i made sure i would be able to prove otherwise which turned out to be a good thing, im gonna get my rex back if its it.The guy who stole it from me who sold it too someone most likely changed all vins but before i took this rex to him to fix it before he stole it i did a litle mod of myself, will be meeting soon, but maybe ill end up buying it if its not mine and looks good in person.”

The motor has been swapped, im pretty sure there is not one in the door but ill check, and ill see about the dash one aswell.

EDIT: Going to bed now check in the morning, happy easter all!

just stop responding to him.
do your own little investigation to make sure everything is legit.
if you do meet up with anyone to show this car to, make sure you have 3 or 4 of your biggest buddies with you, and do it in broad daylight in a busy area, like a tim hortons parkinglot, etc…

go get a used vehicle package… check with the previous owner again and check the vin on the car agains the used vehicle package… move the car and buy a big baseball bat… put some nails in the end of it, sit at home and hope he shows up alone…

ps. it’s near 5 in the morning… i’m bored as hell… seriously just move the car and get the package and check the vin

yea i was curious to know, what the car is registered as at the ministry ? as others have mentioned see if the vin for this car matches motor or chassis

Keep arranging for places to meet up… tell him you’ve thought about it and want him to take a look at the car to make sure it’s not his old stolen one.

Then never show up to the places. Don’t give him your number… your phones broken.

Then when he msgs you, always make up a different excuse and set up another meeting.

Repeat as necessary.

all i can tell you is…

IF you do end up meeting in person

make sure he explains to you FIRST, BEFORE letting him look at anything, what these “mods” are that supposedly show this was once his car

and i’d advise you to have a police officer present

also

if it DOES end up being proven that it was stolen, it will be removed from your possession

you won’t be charged with anything, if you show that you used due diligence when buying it from the previous seller

(meaning that nothing obviously suspicious was going on when you bought it… for example car had no ownership or was being sold for an obscenely low price or anything else that should raise the “uh oh” flag)

youd have to go after the seller to recoup your losses

Yea man this is going to suck balls if its actually his… cause its gonna be taken from you

Advice regarding car theft : Stop stealing cars :stuck_out_tongue:

J/K, good luck McLovin, hopefully the guy leaves you alone.

On a serious note, this thread makes me want to watch gone in 60 seconds.

Check the firewall in the engine bay, usually the VIN is stamped there and must match the one on the dash. If someone was swapping vins, they would have to shave that down or cut it out and weld a vin from the donor car.

Hope it all works out…man I want Wendys

did u also think its one of your bois tryna fuck around with you?
meh u never kno