BLOWN JDM Coilover Registry

hi fun idea…

how many people here bought, have or have had to deal with buying JDM coilovers, having them get explodey on you and then trying to find where to rebuild them?

i’ve had dozens of pm’s and e-mails about it recently… some people think they have the antidote.

who dun’it?

poopy, i made a grammar error in #3.

with should be will…

i can probably edit it somehow… but im tired and this thread isnt that important to me.

Thanks for the advice bing, I got them for free with a front clip I bought about four years ago now so I had just taken them off of the car to start parting it out and wanted to see if it was going to be worth trying to even sell them to anyone. Thanks

no worries.

i called Zeal to check on rebuilding their coilovers a few months ago… it costs almost as much as buying new.

they wont even let you just buy the dampers…

i said… “umm why do you need to inspect them, why dont yo just sell me the dampers? I dont care WHY they are broken, i just want them to not be broken anymore”

but they insisted on inspecting them which required export shipping and import re-shipping… and these guys wonder why all the JDM’s file for bankruptcy.

I’ve bought and ran used coilovers with success. PM me about the coils you have. (edit: it they’re not blown)

Thanks I figured you or someone on the forum would have the answer for me

I bought JDM coilovers, but I bought them from someone who bought them brand new, and I know exactly how long they were on his car for, as well as the car’s usage, because I also knew him back when he bought them. But I also paid quite a bit more than $500 =/

i have sold atleast 30 sets of used jdm coils…1-2 times, i gave refunds cuz they didnt last long but for the other 98% of the time no issues what so ever…

depends on who your dealing with, and what you looking at. Used coilovers can last a long time depending on how much road life they have seen. Its still a gamble tho

I bought a used set of Tein Flex coilovers in 2006. They have been on three of my cars and I am still using them to this day.

Ive got a few sets of used coilovers that all worked excellent.

bing have you ever had used coilovers blow up on you?

i’ve had about 7 sets of D2’s, all the used sets i bought were known to be blown already…

i’ve had 3 sets of Stance… all bought new… have them on both cars including through winter.

At least one set of Megan’s used… no issue withem.

and i did drive on Super Drifts… way tooo stiff but the build quality on them, to be honest, was wicked.

i’ve had at least 5 people ask me to rebuild their busted jdm coilovers in the last 2 months…

http://www.bings.ca/images/parts/racks1.JPG

• That’s Bing chillin in the back rebuilding someones Kei’s lol

D2s are jdm? i thought they were usdm.

they are all TDM… taiwanese

and hey… no using my own pics against me :wink:

Too late :stuck_out_tongue:

…and don’t you go and edit it now shakes finger

as much as buying new ZEALS? or as much as buying a new set of cheap coils?

u cant compare the zeals to them.

when Silvia_drift checked last summer - endless quoted him $100 - $150 / coilover , rebuild by endless in Cali.

Well, depending on how good a deal you’re getting on them, may be worth it to rebuild them right away. The JICs I got on my car, retail for $2600 USD and are $150 a corner to rebuild. I got them for $1000 canuck, so even if I blow them once, still worth it. However, I could’ve just gotten brand new Stances and called it a day, so it’s also not worth it from that point of view. Only reason I got them is because I know the prev owner, so I wasn’t worried about their condition.

Even if they ARE $150 per corner, US, you still have to ship your coilovers there which is at least $100 there and another $100 back… plus you need them insured for full value in case tehy get lost, so good luck with customs too.

With Jewellery and cars if you take them over the border and have them altered, modifeid etc. Customs can tax you on the full value of the car or jewellery… same with your coilovers…

“but i only had them rebuilt”

“too bad, $600 brokerage thanks”

So in the end you are paying over $1300 cdn just to get them rebuilt and shipped to and from…and then gambling with customs… good luck with that.

moreover, rebuild is stupid… as i said with Zeal… just send me new dampers you fggts.

no one cares WHY they are blown… there is no need for an inspection… just sell the separate damper cartridges. And you don’t get singles rebuilt… that is stupid too. you get them done in pairs (front and rear) at minimum…

otherwise you’re running around on used JDM coilovers with one new rear right damper and your rear left is 9 years old… i bet that will feel super nice.

if they did this (sell replacements instead of demand inspection) they wouldnt have lost 90% of the market to taiwanese manufactured brands that have the presence of mind to treat the products like the commodity they are. It’s a market of kids, not successful business men who dirt track or have hot rods and have their $50k hobby cars kept in pristine shape. treating it like that is mis-management