camera buffs.Which one?

My point still stands that the 55-200MM lense with Vibration Reduction is a steal at a total cost of 585.

I’ve never seen those, thanks for the read. Have you tried one in a DSLR yet? Killer price on them.

Note yet just got my DSLR this week but will ordering them soon.

Get the Nikon. Same picture quality, more durability.

I mean, you’re kind of comparing apples and oranges by comparing the 10mp Canon with one lense to the 6mp Nikon with 2 lenses, but still. I’d trade 4mp for that lense if you’re spending about $600.

The wife just bought a D40x with an 18-55mm lens, and then on top of that bought a 55-200mm VR lens. Our research basically concluded the same thing as everyone elses: Comparable Nikons and Canons take equally awesome pics, but the Nikon feels tougher.

fry has a good point

so basically you got fucked and even overpaid for the battery and card. You didn’t HAVE to buy the other things from them.

oh well. lesson learned I suppose. I love dealing directly with Nikon.

Differences between d40 and d40X?

6.1MP vs 10.2 for starters

Canon 40D FTW

yeah…I remember I looked that up yesterday…also a lot more :lol:

its not even close in price man lol

they are essentially the exact same camera, BUT d40 is 6MP and the x is 10MP.

the difference this makes is larger files, and more for the camera to process when taking pics which in turn slows it down ever so slighlty. This also means the ISO on the x isn’t quite the same as the 40 since it can’t get as fast as ISO100 due to the extra MP’s.

the speed, is really nothing to consider. the D40x still takes 3 fps while the 40 only does 2.5.

yeahh i know. i just love the damn thing that i want to whore the name out:lol:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d40%2Cnikon_d40x&show=all

use dpreview… tons of info with sample pics.

Basically I got the D40X because all around it is a bit better of a camera than the D40. If you look at each feature it is almost always slightly better. What paulo said about the image size and speed is true, and it is a bit of a bitch when loading picture to the comp because it takes a bit longer. In reality though who cares, its digital, it is still fast.

The ISO is a valid point, however in almost all circumstances you really don’t need it. (IMO)

I couldn’t be happier with my D40.

I looked at the same canon when buying and found pretty a pretty much unanimous opinion that the canon kit lense is complete garbage. Between that and the universal love for Nikon I went with the D40.

If I could have got a D40x new for the price of my D40 I would have gone that route, but as it was I was already spending more than I probably should have. Looking back though I’m completely happy with the D40 even after having some 8x10’s of my daughter printed at Walgreens. I haven’t tried getting any prints larger than 8x10 but I honestly doubt I ever will.

yeah…I guess I have to weigh the options…

I mean I really like the MP size of the cannon, but the two lens deal for under $600 is very attractive as well. I’m thinking that If I buy the cannon I wouldn’t have to upgrade the camera for a while. Its a lot easier to have money for a lens opposed to a full camera…

I like the durability of the D40…and it has the image stabilizer correct? Does the Canon have that?

I’ve been really into photography and taking pictures for a long time, so I’m looking to maximize the performance for all kinds of shots. Thats the nice thing about having two lenses, but I would really miss the 10.1MP.

I can pick up a really nice cannon lens for $200 or less to add at a later date. would it be worth it to go that route instead of having to upgrade the actual camera?

JUST PICK ONE DAMNIT

edit: i jaykay! lol

the image stabilization is in the lens, not the camera body. Neither of the stock lenses that come with those cameras have stabilization IIRC. And i’m guessing the package deal you see with the 55-200mm lens isn’t a VR either. (and zoom lenses are where you want it)

I would suggest, getting the d40, with those lenses, and then selling the body down the road to upgrade it. You have to remember, DSLR’s hold value much better than point and shoots. They are quality pieces of equipment. And like I said before, long term, you are going to want nikon.

EDIT - that 55-200mm lens is a VR lens, buy the d40 or i’m gonna cunt punt you.

If you really want the canon get it without the kit lense. Do some searching for reviews of the lense that comes with the canon… it’s garbage. Everyone from pro-shooter to novice has said the stock lense sucks.

I only read 2 posts so far, all I have to say is D80.