Nikon D40?

what do I need to know?? I am sick and tired of my POS kodak point and shoot. The picture quality sucks. I have a few events coming up that I would love to have nice quality pics of. Any pros and cons??? who has the best pricing online?? I was going to throw it on my dell card but they want 450 for it. I know I missed all the good deals at black friday. Any tutorials or nyspeeders want to help me set it up when I do buy it?

Thanks,
Dave

Edit Dell has it for 450(Nikon D40 DSLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom Lens). I swear it was more. Anyone have it cheaper?

A DSLR isnt like a point and shoot, so you have to be committed to learning the settings if you want the advertised image quality. That being said the basics arent all that difficult and there are plenty of tutorials out there. Join up on http://buffalofstop.com/forums/ there are many local people on there including myself willing to help a noob. As far as where to buy, Id say first of all you shouldn’t have to pay much over 450 for a kit. Personally there are alot of good deals with Ebay vendors, I bought a D40 kit for my sister, the reg price was like 469 with a small tripod, a bag, UV filter, 1g card and card reader. It really was a good deal, Id say check there.

Damn the edit HaHa. 450 is a very average price. It may be found slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Yes B&H has it for 429.00 with free shipping :tup: I have bought alot of things from B&H. Always good prices, fast shipping, ext.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productDetail&A=cart&Q=add

An SLR doesn’t automatically mean you’re going to take better pictures. The camera will only be as good as the person using it.

Edit: Beach Camera is good, they’re in NJ so you avoid paying tax. B&H, while a great place, is in NYC so you pay tax and shipping.

Copy and paste of a PM I sent to a member who asked me the same thing…

Truth, but at the same time, a perfectly setup car can make someone look like a better driver than they are. I can put the D40 in “auto” and hand it to my wife who knows almost nothing about photography and she can still take some great shots with it.

:word: Beach is a good place.

thanks guys, all great info. anyone know if the supplied lense(stock) has a auto focus motor built in?

Yes it will AF. Thats being said. If your going to spend your money anywhere. spend it on lens’s. A good lens makes a world of a difference, I have ditched my cheaper “kit” lens’s higher quality purpose based lens’s and couldn’t be happier, keep in mind though the D40 Doesn’t have that motor and wont focus some prime lens’s.

It will autofocus with any AS-F lens as well as the older AF-I. I’ve never seen a D40 kit that didn’t come with an AS-F lens, but it doesn’t mean some jackass on egay isn’t doing it to undercut someone.

Wrd. just make sure there AF-S lens’s and your good.

i spit on the D40 !

:cry:

lawls i JK

You’re right, Canon FTW! :slight_smile:

I like canon also, but I think Nikon might have the edge with the their Nikor lenses though.

Kit lens vs kit lens, yes Nikon does have the edge. But no one who’s serious into photography uses the kit lens. Canon L lenses are damn good.

:blah: That ancient thing you use HaHa

was a d40 body on CL for sale for $200 few days ago, just checked and its gone…oh well

Thank you
DAVID
For choosing Dell
Your order has been submitted

Im now a D40 owner. i will let everyone know when it comes in. I will also sign up on buffalofstop.com. Thanks everyone for the help. I know I will need more. Vacation is Aug 10th

i’m kinda late, but i bought myself a d60, it’s almost the same thng as the d40, and i absolutely love it. i wish i had a larger zoom lens, but i’m learning to use the 18-55. it really is a great camera. lots to learn when changing from a p&s though.
enjoy your new toy!