Looking to get my first DSLR..

What would you recommend. I dont plan on going all out and taking pictures for a living.

Suggest me some good cameras.

I picked up a barely used D60 because it was cheap and not overly complicated to take pics out of the box. I just need to sit down one day and play with photoshop some more.

Got a price range you are looking to stay within?

nothing over the 500-600 range

I hope you use it to take pics of naked bitches from VA :tup:

ill dedicate a memory card just for you

Nikon. D60 or some other beginner model.

D60 is where its at in your range. You can get them used for well under $400. Just dont settle on the D40

Also, I havent even read any reviews on them, but I guess the new Sonys are pretty alright and a lot of value. The α230 I guess is the D60’s equivalent but has 9 focus points rather than 3… That in its own is a nice turn on for me.

I’d go D40 over D60.

A good explanation:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Take the money you’ll save and spend it on a lens or an external flash.

I love my D40 out of the box.

i shoot sony currently and am looking to go nikon, start with nikon so you wont have to switch all of your gear over because either way youll end up going to nikon. but i do shoot weddings and other events so its not like i just bought the camera to just take photos of stuff.

I also love my D40. I’m saving for another lens, but other than that I’m fine. The D40 is a great beginner camera. I got mine when Circuit City was closing for $350 :smiley:

Most people like Nikon on here. I’m a Canon guy.

The Canon XSi is a great DSLR, you can pick them up used for well within your price range.

it’s all in the lense

d40 would probably last you years of photography. start collecting good lenses and you will expand your abilities better than you would with spending another 2-300 on a body.

This is true to a point, you still need a decent body to start with. Good glass isn’t going to make a Rebel XT look as good as a 1DsMKIII.

My recommendation is to buy the best body you can for $500-600 then you’ll have a decent starting point for when/if you actually like the hobby and decide to start upgrading your glass.

People’s thoughts on the D3K?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals--NA--NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16830113222

$450 after using code NIKON3K

Another D40 user here, would recommend it although I can’t say I know much about Canon’s DSLR line up.

cannon gets a :tup: cause of all the glass available and takes good pictures.
the D3000 seemed like a good camera when i was messing around with it but that was only for 5-10 min.

Good info in that link, one question though is what is DSLR body life like? I’m sure if you’re purchasing from a recreational person it isn’t much of a concern, but if someone has run tens of thousands of exposures I’m sure you’re starting to get up there. I’m assuming they have a counter like a cellphone has a talk time indicator?

Get a base model SLR right now or a Used nicer one.

Use the standard lens. 18-55mm lens that comes with it.

Learn the following:

1. Mechanics of the camera. (Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO…) - and really understand them, and experiment with them. then critique what they do. Longer shudder speed of someone running motion blur, short shudder = freezing time. shit like that
  2. Composition
  3. Lighting

And seriously don’t just sit there and blast away and take 9000 pictures and pick out the ones you think are the best and post them here. You aren’t helping yourself at all.

Everytime you take a picture, imagine it as its your last and the only thing anyone else will remember you by. So when you sit there and want to take a picture of something. At the very least think. What am I taking a picture of (focus of the picture or SUBJECT), how can I capture this picture (using sunlight, do you need to fill with the flash, do i need to crank up the ISO or hold the shudder open forever…), how can I capture the proper emotion (white balance, timing, …)

If you can figure all that out, then its time to move up.

Walter: Yes camera’s tend to have a life, i think its about 100,000 photos? 300,000 for pro grade cams. I’m uncertain about the camera counter…

^ most fuck wads on this site take 9,000 pictures and then post 8,500 of them.

Seriously, we need to see 25 pictures of your fucking car, in the same fucking spot, from 15 different angles? F-U-C-K