Which Digital SLR to buy?

So I am an absolute noob, when it comes to Digital SLR’s. All I know is that I want to take wicked shots, of people, cars, plants, random things. My 3 yr old Sony Cyber Shot has proved faithful, but lacks quality and the edge that I am looking for.

So anyways, came across this guy selling his 07 Nikon D80 package for about $650, which seems ok I guess considering it sold for around a $1000 in 07. Great reviews, some say high learning curve, but thats ok.

And then I started looking at bestbuy at these Nikon 3000’s and the canon eos rebel xs and the olympus e420. They are all in the 400-500 range so with taxes 650-700 range. What do you think is a better choice?

My criteria of a good camera
-I don’t like taking pictures with flash, my current camera comes out all grainy without flash or blurry and I hate it.
-I want to be able to just focus on the subject and have everything else in the background or foreground blurred.
-B&W picture taking capability
-Image stabilization, sometimes taking those quick on the run pictures. Kinda want the pictures to come out steady (D80 doesn’t have this feature.)

And thats about it.

Iv always wanted a digital SLR just didnt know enough about them to move ahead with them, but figured enough was enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone is selling anything…maybe a good time to let me know :smiley:

EOS REBEL IS ALWAYS A SAFE BUY

either the nikon d3000 if you are on a budget, or for an easy learning, look at the d5000. and of course the d90 if you are experienced or going to the photography field

go nikon. the blurred backgrounds will come from the lenses not the camera and thats where things get expensive.
i shoot with the D80 and have no complaints at all.

Your best bet is to understand what parts of a camera make these things possible. You can get advanced point and shoots these days that do what you are saying you want but if you don’t know how to use it to it’s potential, a DSLR isn’t going to help much. People can’t just buy a DSLR and expect to take great pictures. (I’m not trying to discourage you)

I suggest reading up a bit on how cameras work and why shots look the way they do. If you bought a low end DSLR with a stock lens, it’s not going to offer much. You can get something cheaper and smaller to learn the basics and also get a feel for whether or not you want to continue on with photography as a hobby. And now with ILC (Interchangeable Lens Compact) cameras, it’s better than ever. You can have a compact camera but still swap out for better glass if the time comes. I’m not sure how cheap those get, though.

Hmm,

Yea I ended up reading about the whole blurry effects. Lenses, is where its at. But I would like to start off with a good body. The D80 is advanced yes, but its also 2 years old technology. Now, I don’t know how fast camera tech advances, but if they are anything like Cell Phones and every thing else. The newer stuff, even if cheaper and in the beginner category will probably have more features. Plus warranty is something I may want to consider.

Budget isn’t really small, but I guess for digital SLR’s they go all the way up to ten’s of thousand’s.

Paulo, you do raise good points. I do need to read up if I am to enjoy my hobby a little more. However, not really interested in just buying a camera to practice and then replace it with something else. I have had a few of the digital camera’s and they don’t do it for me. I would rather spend money once an buy something good, then keep replacing and updating. And…not to brag, but have a knack for photography :wink: loool !! Just need something to compliment my meager talents…!!

lol, by the sound of it. you should be happy with a Nikon D90. im not a big fan of canon, because their T1i, t2i was a total flop.

i would advise you to join a camera forum, do some research about the D5000 and the D90 and choose the best one for you… ( D90 all the way LOL )

You won’t need all of what the D90 has to offer. The D5000 still gives you a ton of function, shoots 720p video, etc… Save some money.

And while camera tech does advance over the years, it’s mainly just features that change. Like video, screen size, megapixels. But as far as real picture quality, the lens is what will make the largest difference, not the body. For example, Micah still uses a D50. Look up the specs on that and tell me you need a D90.

yeah def dont need the d90, its almost professional.
totally agree with paulo, go grab a d5000 if you want something new.

I agree with the people above. I have a D5000 my self, but the only thing it lacks is the in-body focusing motor, which means the D90 is compatible with older lenses with no focus motor in the lens housing. but D5000 is a camera to be messed with. its really similiar to the D90

I would not put the D90 anywhere near the “almost professional” range.

Yeah the D90 is still mid-range. Professional means getting into D3x type shit. $$$$$$$$$

it’s not about the camera.

You’re correct, but I don’t get into these type of discussions on here because it usually falls on deaf ears.

Certainly not, which is why I tell people that aren’t deep into it to start with advanced point and shoots before getting a DSLR and thinking they are pro.

D5000 and buy my 28-70 for delicious bokeh (blurry backgrounds). It’s not shameful to spend 2x as much on a lens as you did on the camera.

Wow

Super sweet responses. Ok well, now I am kinda not considering the D80 anymore. Have to research this D5000 and the D90 now.

Somebody is asking me to pick up a Canon Rebel Xsi which is going for $599, or the T2i.

Holy geez, this is tougher than I thought.

bro, just go to google and compare the t2i and the d5000, you might get similar end results, but the D90 is NOWHERE near the t2i, the D90 blows the cannon out of the water. the real choice is between the d5000 and d90

IMO MAN FIND A CAMERA YOU CAN USE FOR WHAT YOU WANT-IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE A PHOTOGRAPHER FIND ONE IN YOUR PRICE RANGE THAT IS USER FRIENDLY TO YOUR NEEDS-EVERYONE IS GOING TO HAVE PREFERENCES BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA SUITS YOU-MUCH LIKE YOUR RIDE DOES.LOL.GOOD LUCK

As a happy D40 owner I’ll just add that I would never buy another DSLR that didn’t have a body driven focus motor. It really limits your options on lens choices.