Dunnville Autodrome SHUT DOWN by locals: *Please Sign Our Petition!*

thats gay… i live around the corner from an airport. no way cars are as loud as some of the planes that take off.

Brian

spread some really stinky manure too and say he is starting a farm there.

I want to send them an email saying “GOD is punishing you with tornadoes”

Kind of OT, but when I saw the capitalized “SHUT DOWN” it reminded me of this game:

GREEN SECTOR SHUT DOWN!

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/files/omega2.JPG

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/files/omega1.JPG

It must be terminated!

What makes the lapping day different from a track day?

Nothing from a permit standpoint. Where it changes is when there is wheel-to-wheel racing & competition.

So no difference, alright. I just never understood the difference, if there was one.

This is what happens when the majority feels they need to bend over to please the minority. Josh I would be more than happy to help organize any track days next year since there will be some driving involved.

I know some people in the Civil War reinactment game. with Fucking cannons.

I’ll still go there Saturday and rev my car for six hours.

pull exhaust off after the header/manifold/turbo
get spare key
set launch control at 3k rpms
put parking brake on
turn car on
put brick on pedal
lock up the car
come back and get the car 6 hours later
???
profit

Probably the greatest thing I’ve ever heard.

Jon Kuiper, Autodrome manager, should show some of Onyx’s vids showing that it is a bunch of enthusiasts having a good time. Would they rather have them on the streets and race?

You not going to shut down the highway because it is too.

Hopefully it will get dropped.

Finally hit the local paper…

http://www.dunnvillechronicle.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1715629

Dunnville Autodrome closed for business
Posted By CATHY PELLETIER , CHRONICLE STAFF WRITER
Posted 5 hours ago

After five years of operation and months of heated debate, drivers have taken their last lap at The Dunnville Autodrome.

The Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) passed a verdict last week, rendering its decision that “all racetrack use and activity must be stopped immediately.”

Since 2004, The Autodrome has leased a part of an airport hangar at the Dunnville Airport on Port Maitland Road and ran various automotive and car racing related activities, including a 2.2-km long outdoor Formula track constructed on part of an unused runway.

The OMB ruled Aug. 17 that the Autodrome’s activities do not constitute a legal use under the present zoning bylaw and that it would not constitute good land use planning to legalize them, as they are incompatible with the surrounding land uses.

“This has been the position of Dunnville CARES right from 2004 when the Autodrome commenced operations,” said Bill Strong, Chairman of the group of nearby residents that formed to oppose the track, largely because of what members consider excessive noise. “We are ecstatic. We feel it was the right decision. It took us five very long years. The noise is the main disruption,” said Strong. “It was impacting everyone’s lives in the area, and it was also affecting tourism at Maitland Shores Trailer Park and cottagers at Beckley Beach.” Strong said there are 50 or 60 officially registered members of Dunnville CARES, but that upwards of 250 area supporters -mainly residing along Port Maitland Road -have also donated funds to the organization over the years.

A total of 10 residents spoke at the OMB hearings on the group’s behalf, and Strong said they also brought forth “a sound expert witness, a planner, and an airport safety expert, because we felt there was an issue with the planes and skydivers landing close to the track.”

Before all the controversy erupted, Autodrome employee Jon Kuiper recalls how the past five years of his life coincided with the lifespan of the track.

On his last day as a student at Dunnville Secondary, he led the Lamborghini and Lotus that had wheeled into town looking for the track at the Dunnville Airport. “So I hopped in my old $300 Jeta and brought them to the Autodrome,” said Kuiper, and he’s been there ever since.

“For the last five years, I’ve learned enough just from being at the Autodrome to be a professional driving coach. I never knew anything about the Autodrome until my last day of high school and went back on the weekend to check out the Formula cars, and met Lee (Abrahamson), the owner, who was helping out. The mechanic needed to fix a car and I’m a mechanic so Lee said, ‘Why don’t you help out?’ I worked my way up to the top.”

Besides producing the Autodrome’s website, along with in-car training videos and promotional flyers, Kuiper said he’s opened the gates at 6 a. m., “swept the track, greeted guests, taught them to drive, and cooked them lunch on the barbecue” while employed there. He’s also had the opportunity to introduce the track to 90210 actor Jason Priestley and other celebrities who share a love of driving.

“This is a good track for training,” he said, adding that unlike other tracks, the Autodrome has no cement walls or other potentially dangerous barriers for drivers to hit. “It’s a training and research and development track. We never had any races out here. That was never the plan.”

According to Kuiper, “The Internet is exploding” with correspondence from Autodrome supporters, voicing their disappointment about the track’s closure. He hosted a farewell party this past Sunday night as the Autodrome’s final event.

PLEASE SEE “OMB HEARING” The OMB report stated, “The proponent claimed it was their understanding from early discussions with municipal officials that the Autodrome business was desirable by Haldimand as a recreation facility that would draw business and investment to the municipality. The Autodrome concluded, in their own due diligence and by their own advisors, that their uses would be allowed under the current municipal planning instruments and chose to proceed with a business decision sometime in 2003, to lease space at the Dunnville Airport and to construct the track. Further, it was the proponent’s opinion that the Autodrome is not a racetrack per se, because ‘wheel to wheel’ competitive racing is not permitted, and as such, Ministry of the Environment (MOE) noise guidelines do not (or should not) apply to this facility.”

And while there was extensive debate about whether or not the Autodrome was, in fact, a racetrack, the OMB concluded that residents had a case in their claim that when several cars used the track at high speeds at the same time, it produced excessive noise.

The report further stated that when Autodrome owners were “made aware of the municipality’s concerns about zoning compliance in 2003 and 2004 and noise complaints, they submitted the required applications, including a series of noise studies, and have been working cooperatively with Haldimand. They have since also instituted a two-step control measure to screen cars for noise before entering the track and they now require mufflers on all cars.”

After a lengthy process and numerous discussions and noise studies, Haldimand held a statutory public meeting in June 2008. Council refused the Autodrome’s applications to amend the Town’s Official Plan to redesignate land to add a site-specific policy that would allow additional uses on the subject lands and amend the zoning bylaw to rezone airport lands for various “entertainment uses” and special events.

The case was referred to the OMB, and consisted of 13 hearing days and two evening sessions set aside for the community to express their views.

Three land use planners spoke, with one providing evidence in support of the Autodrome and two in opposition. Haldimand’s CBO and Zoning Examiner, Ed Vanderwindt, provided evidence in opposition, and real estate appraiser Ben Lansink spoke on behalf of Dunnville CARES, predicting that property values could be negatively impacted “when one is located near intrusive land uses.”

Four acoustical and noise experts made presentations; two on behalf of the Autodrome, one on behalf of Dunnville CARES, and H. Gidamy of S. S. Wilson Associates reviewed and critiqued the studies as Haldimand’s peer reviewer.

Owner Lee Abrahamson and two Autodrome employees -Steve Strong and Marian Kuiper, who also live in the area – voiced their support at the hearing.

Neale Armstrong, on behalf of Toronto Motorsports Park and D. Blunt, on behalf of Beckley Beach Cottagers Corporation, spoke in opposition of the Autodrome.

“It kind of feels like your best friend died,” said Steve Strong, Community Relations Officer for the Autodrome. Surprised by the OMB’s total refusal to allow track operations, “We thought they might restrict us a bit in the way we operate,” he said. “Until you get out in a car and see how fun it is, you have no idea what we’re about. There are still lots of people who don’t know it’s there, but it ran for five years and one month. They don’t really understand what it is. It’s a lot of fun. We worked pretty hard and hoped things would work out. It’s one more thing that didn’t work out in Dunnville. It was exciting to have something, especially for the young people.”

“The Board does not stand in the way of progress and economic development of a municipality,” reads the OMB report, "… Similarly, the Board does not wish to interfere with the interests of the business community, including the car ‘testing,’ sales and entertainment sectors, including racing enthusiasts, many of whom frequent this facility.

However, the Board can not readily consider approval of a highly disruptive land use or activity and an operation that does not seem to have paid an adequate amount of attention to the concerns and well-being of the community and has operated over the past five years in what has been suggested to be outside the municipality’s bylaws and other regulations."

affecting tourism at Maitland Shores Trailer Park

LOL

Neale Armstrong, on behalf of Toronto Motorsports Park… spoke in opposition of the Autodrome.

This is unacceptable.

As I read that, I feel like it’s going back and forth as to whether or not the Autodrome was in fact operating within the laws and bylaws of the area.

I wonder if the OMB would let them build sound barriers around the track and continue to operate. It amazes me that there wasn’t any compromise. They basically just said shut up and shut it down. :tdown:

Yeah, that fact really needs to be spread to the enthusiasts community. Obviously they liked the idea of being the only game in town but their customers shouldn’t stand for it.

Let’s leave thousands of bags of flaming shit at TMP and run away.

HAHA In :naughty:

My car will never set tire at TMP again.