FedEx Logo..

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php

I never noticed it, and now it pisses me off i know its there

who cares… its a fucking arrow…

never saw it, don’t care.

But I read the link and holy shit do they put way too much effort into logo design.

actually hurts my eyes

Good branding work should not take 10 minutes.

I agree.

However, this seems a bit far fetched considering the end result. I understand the process, have a drinking buddy who is a mildly succesful graphics design guy, and I lol @ him often for the time put into detail that will never be noticed by 95% of the user base (as with the FEDEX arrow)…

Moreover, neither was particularly suited to forcing an arrow into its assigned parking place without torturing the beautifully crafted letterforms of the respective faces. To avoid getting too technical here, suffice it to say I took the best characteristics of both and combined them into unique and proprietary letterforms that included both ligatures (connected letters) and a higher “x-height,” or increased size of the lower-case letters relative to the capital letters
$0.02.

not sure how people never noticed it. i thought it was pretty blatant

The number of revisions and concepts that we do for our tool sub brands is ridiculous.

You don’t need to consciously notice something for the logo to work and be successful.

Some of the best logos ever designed (Fedex being one of them) have subtleties that most people will never catch upon first glance, but will help convey certain emotions to the subconscious about the brand.

that logo just got so much better for me

they come in many flavors too

http://www.fedex.com/us/about/today/companies/

There’s actually two concepts that you’re addressing there (with the addition of the quote). There’s branding, and there’s typography.

Typography is HIGHLY INTENSIVE. Far more so than most people realize. There are countless books and articles about good typography. It stems from the art of hand written scribing back before printing. It is far more intense, and far more specialized than I can even explain here. A GOOD designer/brander will probably spend hours on stuff that most people take for granted… stuff like the space between letters, space between words, line height, italic styles, small caps heights, spacing of punctuation.

I’m actually currently reading one of the cornerstone books of typography, called The Elements of Typographic Style. To give you an example of how intense it is, here’s a quote. Most people ignore stuff like the number of lobes in an asterisk … but good typographers take a WHOLE lot into consideration to remain true to the history, and keep a flow between the symbols.

“Baskerville, which is an eighteenth-century Neoclassical typeface, requires a Neoclassical asterisk: one with an even number of lobes, each in symmetrical teardrop form. But a twentieth-century neohumanist face like Palatino requires an asterisk with more calligraphic character - sharper, slightly asymmetrical lobes, more likely five than six in number, showing the trace of the broadnib pen.”

Sorry, since I’m currently really brushing up on my typography skills, I could talk a lot about it :confused:

lol i never even noticed it there, i kind of feel like an idiot now.

UPS ftw

i feel a strange connection to the logo…don’t know why though…

oh yeah, i have to wear it every fucking day

lol thank god i don’t.

+1. Can’t believe I never saw that.

I never noticed it. I will be sure to point it out to everyone I know now.

From a marketing friend:

"We had a presenter of subliminal advertising back during our senior year of classes show us this.

The funny thing is, the article omitted one item in the logo. The “e” and the “d” form two wheels, and the line in the “e” is the axle, connecting them. The “plus” with that? It makes it nearly 3-D when you look at it long enough. Pretty cool stuff."

i guess i never saw it before but now instead of FedEx I see arrows and wheels