getting stuck with a Dodge Charger for a rental...

So my wife and I are going to be in Fort Lauderdale all next week and since we didn’t leave any cars at the house I have to rent one. Of course the only car left is a Dodge Charger, and it’s not a Hemi…figures it would be gay too. Maybe I’ll just drive it around with my GM polo on so I feel better.

If anyone has one, are they decent cars? I am curious if they ride nice, get decent gas mileage (for a Dodge at least) etc. The only one I was in was a cop car with one of my friends looking up people’s driving history.

A board member rented one and it came with the 2.7l fleet vehicle V6 (not the standard 3.5l). I think it was one of the slowest cars driven that day. You will definately want to get the insurance as the front tires show 20,000 miles of wear in 30 miles of driving. They had to be rotated once before the day was up. You can only get them to rotate from an almost dead stop. Will not break the rear tires free even doing a brake stand.

so it is a piece of crap… great

Maybe they’ll have something returned early…

+1 Sorry man. I rent all the time for work (already 22 times this year) and I get stuck with these every now and then. They SUCK. I’ve only gotten one of the 3.5L, most of the time it’s the 2.7L garbage, and they’re sloppy with huge blind spots… The bad part is, the rental companies consider it an upgrade to most other vehicles because of it’s size.

Are you renting from Buffalo area, or Florida? I’ll be returning a Sonata this afternoon to AVIS, you could follow me in if you want! LOL

For $900 you can get a Corvette through AVIS for the 6 days! AVIS and HERTZ tend to be the best for nice cars. I’ve found the rest to be a toss up.

www.kayak.com is a pretty good search site.

yeah the 6 banger cars suck. the hemi is fun… especially with a 125 shot on the rental.

i know the first few passes on the 300 were without n2o. the car eventually got down to a 13.26. fastest mph was 108.

I actually thought about the Vete but then I realized I can drive one whenever I want so I’d have more fun burning the 900 bucks…

Mike, I think it would probably be worse for me to drive a Sonata but thanks for the offer. If I did though I could be really mean and send a nice picture to our GM reps and ask them how they like my new car.

Awesome videos!! Can you send the VIN everytime you rent a car so I know not to buy it when it gets to the auction?

jeller renter one when him and Xander came down to PHX. It wasnt a hemi. wasnt a bad ride, decent on gas for what it was. dont complain, your on vacation…who cares what your driving as long as its a commercially acceptable new(er) car. just beat the snot out of it and have fun.

I didnt rent it. I just installed the nitrous. :slight_smile:

Alan Jacobs is the one you want to look out for and he lives in CA. :slight_smile:

that was last summer (07) that he rented the C. this summer (08) he rented a caddy DTS with like 80k already on it. they didnt have any rwd v8 rentals that day, even with C note bribes lol. the DTS swallowed a 125 shot as well with no issue. went from high 16’s to around a 14 flat.

Brian

who cares, its a rental, assuming rear wheel drive, then just kill it

A charger would have been a luxury rental for me.

Last week I had to do a one way rental from buffalo to westchester county, and the prices were stupid high, so I had to rent the economy from avis.

Turned out to be a 2008 kia rio. Absolute worst car I have ever driven in my life. It was shitty taking it up the mountains in PA, I thought the thing was going to roll backwards.

I like renting cars in vegas, you walk into this secure parking lot, and the lot attendant tells you to “pick a car in the first two rows, any one you want.” The misses steered towards a PT Cruiser convertible. Car was fun to rent, and even better was the fact that we paid like 11 bucks per day on priceline.

\

I figured. They are both just as bad.

Have a good trip man.

Hey that’s me driving!!!

yes it is, john force :wink: lol

Brian