car rentals? any experiances with it?

One of my best friends is graduating from the marines feb 1st and instead of taking the goat, I want to just take a rental. I’ll probably need it for a week or so… maybe less.

can anyone recommend a good rental company? I’d prefer something somewhat large for leg room and shit, although a convertible would be ideal since we’ll be in south carolina for a few days. Any ideas on what kind of prices I’ll be looking at? Do they look at points on your drivers license? Never rented a car before

Dollar has always been good to me, that’s if its available where you’re going.

Most companies have a 25 or older rule to rent
Not sure how old you are but throwing it out there

This should help:
http://www.bnm.com/uage2.htm

Looks like most companies now surcharge 21-24

If you are under 25 there is a surcharge, I travel quite frequently and I’m 23. Just to give you a rough idea, we usually go through enterprise as we have an account with them. I was just in NYC for 5 1/2 weeks and my rental came to $4300 =)

I’m 26, so that shouldn’t be a problem, even if it is… another friend who’s going with is 28 and can do it too for a cheaper rate (hopefully).

So points shouldn’t really matter?

edit: holy shit… 4300? christ that is a lot of money. I was “hoping” for around 2-300 :stuck_out_tongue: so you were paying roughly 800 w/k?

Steve, I rent cars quite frequently.

Use this website to figure what the bottom dollar price is for the days that you need the car http://www.carrentals.com/

Then use a service such as priceline to undercut that price by a few bucks.

Last time I was in vegas, I ended up with a PT cruiser vert for 17 bucks per day. Anything out of Buffalo airport will be around 30 bucks a day at the cheapest list price.

I usually stick with the economy cars due to the gas mileage, and cheap factor of them.

As far as I know they only look for alcohol offenses or other major vehicle offenses. Points such as speeding aren’t a problem, unless its a certain amount. Check the rental websites for more details.

Steve, I rent cars quite frequently.

Use this website to figure what the bottom dollar price is for the days that you need the car http://www.carrentals.com/

Then use a service such as priceline to undercut that price by a few bucks.

Last time I was in vegas, I ended up with a PT cruiser vert for 17 bucks per day. Anything out of Buffalo airport will be around 30 bucks a day at the cheapest list price.

I usually stick with the economy cars due to the gas mileage, and cheap factor of them.

As far as I know they only look for alcohol offenses or other major vehicle offenses. Points such as speeding aren’t a problem, unless its a certain amount. Check the rental websites for more details.

I don’t pay for it, my company does and they direct bill so the cost isn’t an issue to me.

FYI that is with every option/coverage/insurance you can get.

yeah don’t buy insurance from the rental company.

call your agent before you go, make sure they cover you in a rental car. Geico does with my basic policy.

If you book with an american express card they offer a certain level of insurance on car rentals also, or an all inclusive policy for a few bucks per day.

You can almost buy the car.

thanks for the tips/advice Justin… rates seem to be A LOT cheaper through that website.

why not take the goat? T56 highway gas mileage kicks ass. Space issues?

I can’t see it doing as good as a 4 cylinder econobox…

our vette gets low 30’s with the LS2 :gotme: the cost savings of not renting a car would more than offset a few less mpg.

+1

mid 40’s > low 30’s when theres alot of miles involved.

pretty much.

I don’t want to put the wear and tear/miles on the GTO. I took it to NC over the summer and while I was glad that I did, I also regretted it as I was always worried about it. (making sure it was clean, not hitting potholes, getting chipped my a random rock on the freeway, ect)

I’d rather just drive something that I don’t have to worry about, plus the GTO even in 6th gear is still 10mpg off from a carolla. Most I’ve hit on a long trip is right around 24-26mpg

how far are you traveling? how many miles each way, not counting driving round the city?

it’s approx 870 miles one way… plus the driving around and shit we’ll be doing while there.

estimate maybe 2K miles round trip

on just 1800 highway miles & gas @ $3.20:

26 mpg = $224
42 mpg = $138

Thats an extra $86 worth of celebration money.

:tspry: