Good camera deal

I’m finally giong to replace my very old Olympus D340-r (the smithsonian expressed some interest in it) and after doing a lot of research I’ve pretty much decided on the Nikon D40.

This is one of the better package deals I’ve seen:
http://www.fotoconnection.com/p56949-nikon-d40-package-1-18-55mm-1gb.html

What do you camera guys think?

Did you check them on reseller ratings?

canon FTW

wait for black friday for the combo deals… check out the adds online now.

sony!

I just bought a D40x from circuit city. they had it for the cheapest at $679.

That’s a ton of stuff for not a lot of money. Good deal if it’s not all garbage. Heck, good deal if it is garbage. Just a D40 with the lens on Amazon is $480.

I opted for the Nikon over Canon for an SLR too. My wife just picked up the D40X, which has a few changes including moar megapixels. We like it a lot, but just the camera body with the same lens as your link was (I think) $650. Then I got her the 55-200mm Vibration Reduction lens, which was like another $200.

So yeah, that looks like a screaming deal.

Did a little research on the seller and I think I’ll pass.

http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/t123119.html

Going to be watching this week though because I’m sure the best deal of the year will be a black friday’ish sale.

I have a D40, 2gb card, wonderful tripod, and a nice carrying case. I spent over $1000 :frowning:

That was with a 4 year accidental protection plan though.

I ordered a camera through a company similar like 4 years ago. Called em up asked where my order was, it didn’t ship and I asked why and they go well cuz you require this this and this. I was like wtf? Then he hung up on me, I called back and asked for a “manager” and the other guy laughed and hung up. I sent them an email and they cancelled my order, it was such bullshit.

I’d pass. I have a D40x and it’s worth it over the D40. NIKON FTW.

I’d just order from Amazon. Same price but without all that crap that you either probably already have if you’re just upgrading SLR’s, or don’t need.

No. It’s not. :eyebrow:

It’s a lot more money, and has a slower sync speed. Sure you get a tad bit better resolution, but its not noticable to the naked eye or unless you’ve blown the image up around the area of 15171 x 7427. There is no significant change in quality or performace that warrants the extra $200. Save the $200 and buy a nice lens for a D40.

If you’re going to spend the extra $200 to get the “x”, you might as well spend another few hundred bucks and buy a D200 and get a hell of a lot more features.

Oh and your default ISO is slower w/ a D40x. D40 = smaller memory files (which you won’t have to wait to load, or delete and definitely won’t fill up your card as fast.)

I did some camera shopping last Christmas and had the same thought you did…Until I checked reseller ratings… Good call.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d40%2Cnikon_d40x&show=all

A guy in the classifieds has a brand new D50 for sale.:wink:

Yeah, for more than the better D40. :wink:

Bumping this. I’m thinking of picking up a D40 as well (IF YOU USE PAYPAL YOU GET 20% OFF AT NEWEGG).

Admittedly, I did not do too much research but I did read that the D40 does not have a focus motor and autofocus with many Nikkor lenses will not work. Does this mean it does not have autofocus altogether or just not with certain lenses?

Means the lens has to have the autofocus motor. That’s what turned me off from the D40/D40x. I ended up ordering an Olympus E-510 from Newegg; $675 for the camera body and two lenses. Has optical image stabilization, supersonic wave dust elimination system, a live-view LCD and two kit lenses - 14-42mm (28-84mm 35mm eq.) and 40-150mm (80-300mm 35mm eq). Good deal for someone moving up from a mega-zoom point and shoot camera.

Picked up a D40 off of amazon last tuesday. It was an update over a 6 yr old Canon.

Definately user friendly for a DSLR, and a nicely balanced package. For $480 with lens kit, its a super deal for an “entry” level dslr.

If you are going to be doing serious work (selling, showing, or anything more then showing the kids 20 yrs from now), then spend a few more bucks and pickup the 200.

$0.02

Ordered the D40 combo from newegg today with the paypal cashback.