Heat Wrap on exhaust: yay or nay?

Just curious on some opinions…

A while ago i got heat wrap with intent of wrapping my downpipes with it…i know heat can cause a lot of problems, and hasten the wear and tear of parts exposed to a lot of it, and figured it would be a good way to reduce some heat…

A friend recently told me though that it holds in moisture, and can cause the exhaust to rot? sounds plausible to me…so i’m just curious if the benefits outweigh the downsides? or what other benefits/downsides there are to it that i dont know about?

my exhaust is all off right now, and i just found the roll of wrap, so i figured i’d put it on now while it’s convenient, given that the general census is that it’ll be beneficial to do so…

On another note, exhaust wrap does a better job of holding heat out of something then it does holding heat in.

i just wrapped the headers on my bike yesterday. i love the way it looks and i figure it will keep heat down around my foot.

just don’t spill oil on it :stuck_out_tongue:

They sell high temp silicone paint designed for heat wrap at advancd auto and pep boys. Its designed to keep moisture out. I used it on my exhuast. AT first while its burning off it smells like burnt waffles, but after a while the smell goes away. the wrap helps keep the heat inside and helps make power and lowers under hood temps dramaticly. If getting it coated is pricey and outta the question then header wrap is your next best bet, just make sure its the 2000deg stuff and not the lower temp stuff designed for N/A applications.

i bought the spray for it, but i didnt use it since i like the original look of the wrap. they only sell black and aluminum color spray.

there’s nothing on the label that i could find about temps it’s good up to…but i’ll read it again tomorrow…i put everything away already tonight. this probably doesn’t help any but i got it at advanced auto parts, it’s a 2 inch wide, 50 foot long roll. ugh i have it right on the tip of my tongue but i can’t spit out the brand name…

and you’re saying that you wrapped the exhaust, then painted over the wrap with this high temp paint to keep moisture out? nifty idea…that being the case i think i might as well make use of the wrap since i have it…

and it’s not like anybody’s going to see my downpipes…unlike most turbo applications, on the Z32 you don’t see the turbos or exhaust/downpipes at all unless you’re under the car…so i’m not worried about how it looks at all.

DEI, design engineering, i have the same stuff. just bought it from advanced this past weekend.

edit- the high temp silicone coating puts the protection temp up to 1500 degrees.

heat wrap should really be used on parts exposed to heat like fuel lines and wiring… not on exhaust to keep heat in

nay

thats an incorrect statement, the wrap causes the pipes to heat more, but at the same time, it flows faster through the pipes and out. its better to contain the heat from the source than to try and protect everything else from the heat.

in a cramped engine bay, and considering that you already have it… yay