K-rock

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771094-80.stm

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

By Adrian McCoy, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The long-rumored format switch at WRKZ-FM (93.7/K-Rock) will finally happen April 2, when the radio station goes from rock music to a talk format called The Zone, with new call letters WTZN-FM.

Targeted at male listeners ages 25 to 49, the lineup is a roster of syndicated and local talent. Scott Paulsen, formerly of WDVE-FM, and John McIntire, heard most recently on KDKA-AM, will host weekday afternoon talk shows. And a syndicated host with local ties – comedian and Pittsburgh native Dennis Miller – will be part of the lineup. Miller’s new show launches nationally next week and debuts here April 2.

The weekday lineup: “The Opie & Anthony Show,” 6 to 9 a.m.; TBA, 9 to 10 a.m.; Miller, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.; McIntire, 1 to 4 p.m.; and Paulsen, 4 to 7 p.m.

“It’s going to be a different kind of radio station,” said Keith Clark, vice president of programming for CBS Radio Pittsburgh. “The catalyst was making sure we could get great local talk shows. Having people like Scott Paulsen and John McIntire were critical to us being able to do this properly.”

There are still gaps in the evening and weekend schedule. The station runs some NASCAR programming on weekends, which will continue, Clark said.

Clark said The Zone will complement the news/talk format on sister station KDKA-AM (1020), giving listeners a serious talk outlet and one that is entertainment-driven. The new format will draw on KDKA for its local newscasts.

now I know why that station has sucked lately…

awww man that blows!

The X claims another win.

Still would be nice if there was some more choices around here. As soon as I get my Pioneer Avic-D3 I’m getting Sirius. I just need more choices.

wow

Now we’re down to 2 rock stations. DVE and the X. I can’t stand the X. Not that I could stand KROCK, but hey… it was better than talk.

XM > *

That’s why Sirius is kicking their ass.

Sirius > XM (I’ve had both & I had XM for over a year, before switching)

fuck no more kidd chris show at 3 :wtf:

They didn’t last very long it seems…

I still hang tough with the DVE.

have been a loyal dve listner since jr. high. (many moons ago) and you can’t beat the morning show.

but it would be nice to have some more choices, even to just flip to duing commercials. the x is all right some days late moring, othe rthan that the seem to cater to kids.

i had high hopes for k-rock, but they started to let me down pretty quick. that kid chris show annoyed the piss out of me.

some of you may be too far “north” to get it, but clg out of mo’town isn’t bad soemtimes. plays more of a mix, kind slike combining a bit of the x with dve.

Morning show on DVE, and then my ipod the rest of the day, haha.

I was wondering what happened to Scott Paulsen. The only thing K-ROCK had going for them was Stern. As soon as he left, it was shit.

Well that sucks oh well. 2 changes in a matter of like 4 years. I rember when it was B94 now it’s Krock Now some talk crap oh well can’t win them all.

radio sucks

Dennis Miller should pull some listeners, but it will likely fail because we wanna rock!

that sucks
we lost a few great radio stations in last couple years
WRRK classic rock
anyone remember The Revolution? before the X

The Revolution wasn’t bad. RRK wasn’t too bad either.

Revolution was the only commercial free station in pittsburgh at the time.

I havent listened to Scott Paulson since he was on the DVE morning show, the little I have heard from him he seems to fit more on a talk station then DVE anymore.

I think I do. For some reason I remember them playing Zep and PJ and Soundgarden, kind of a mix of what was current rock and classic in one station. They played stuff that wasn’t just the hip single too, right?

Damn, this is bad news. I only listen to basically 2 stations - K-Rock and The X. The X seems to be going emo slowly but surely and now this station just disappears. I dont want to have to switch between KISS and WAMO. The Kidd Chris show was entertaining. Last week was their final broadcast from their previous studio. This week was s’posed to be their first one in the new studio but it never aired on K-Rock here - now I see why.

Satellite radio is more and more tempting