need help with a chevy 350

So my buddy has a 73 chevelle and one day while driving it just sputtered out and died. after a compression test we found number 5 cylinder had a reading of 0. We tried a bunch of things, but both have limited knowledge of motors. Any input is greatly appreciated.

What are these bunch of things you tried?

Theres many things that it could be. Could be a broken ring ( although would be obvious ) could be intake/exhaust spring broke, which would cause a good sputter.

new timming chain, new carb, new water pump, repositioning the distributer, compression test, vaccuum test and with that the needle was jumping everywhere.

So you dont know how many inches of vaccuum you have? and I take it you re-timed it, But did you check anything in the valvetrain?

umm i dunno and we checked the pushrods and rockers

with a reading of 0 it’s probably a stuck open valve, blown out rings or a hole in the piston

thanks! any help is appreciated. i think he is going to tear it down this weekend to check everything out.

why don’t you see if you can get a leakdown tester and save your self some work.

what is it? how does it work? and where can i get one?

start with removing the valve cover,turning the motor by hand and see if the rockers are moving up and down.

you can buy one, but they are kind of exspensive, see if you can rent one at AZ or one of the auto stores. You hook it up to a compressor and pump air into each cylinder 1 at a time, than listen to see where it’s leaking from, if it’s in the oil pan it’s a ring/piston issue, if it’s inthe valve cover it’s a valve issue.

Youll also be able to hear it through the exhaust, if its an exhaust valve and the intake if its an intake valve.