Never rush to the track *Story with pics inside*

So as most of you know I headed out to the track last Friday to attempt a 12 second run. Well I failed… horribly. I drove home not really knowing why I failed so bad. I had to run 91 Octane gas as there is no 94 to be found in or around Cayuga (I know what the hell?!). So I had to assume the reason my car felt sluggish and sounded funny was it didn’t like the 91, it didn’t make a lot of sense to me at the time but I couldn’t think of anything else. Anyways I get the car home and decide to pop the hood because I hear a strange not very nice sound coming from the bay.

I place my hand on the valve cover and notice that #3 feels funny, sort of like a knock on my hand. So with a few choice words I head off to bed thinking my #3 crank bearing was shot.

I get up the next morning and figure I may as well pull the plugs and see if they can give me any clues as to what is really going on here.

So first I pull the coil packs out and lay them on top of the engine… and I notice something a little funny. One of these does not seem to look like the rest, can you find it?

http://dustin.jetstreamhosting.com/stupid1.jpg

After I notice the #3 coil pack looks “different” I proceed to look into the plug hole… I then proceed to give my self a nice hard one of these

:pat:

http://dustin.jetstreamhosting.com/stupid3.jpg

I put the plug socket on the #3 plug, comes out finger tight… I can even wiggle it a little bit. Well thank fully I didn’t bugger up the threads or do any damage that I know of to the head. Here is a shot of the plug after I pulled it out.

http://dustin.jetstreamhosting.com/stupid4.jpg

Pretty nasty looking eh?

So I thought it would be a good idea to post this little story in hopes that the rest of you take the time to check your car’s over properly before rushing down to the track. I know I will be next this week!

Makes you feel like a complete tool when something simple on you car causes you grief that could have been easily avoided.

i thin ksomething is up with sr plugs lol i changed my plugs after feeling a little bit sluggish and one of my plugs was also finger loose… it somehow backed out. that was a long time ago, now i make sure i get it right lol.

also on the way to cayuga if u go threw hamilton there is a sunoco just befor the big hill if you take the highway there. i dont remember the street but its the road you take to get threw downtown hamilton. Centenell parkway? or some jazz like that. just so you know next time

your not the only member to have loose plugs…

I know of 1 who had his shoot out of the threads (likely loose to begin with) into the plug wire and into the hood leaving an odd outward dent…

your motor is likely blown (inside joke)

there’s one on the east side of the qew going south past hamilton, I forget the road… and I think centennial has one about 5min south in stoney creek

See Dustin, not eveyone is good at everything

thats why a torque wrench is the most important tool in your tool chest!

you use a torque wrench to tighten your spark plugs? you must have a lot of time on your hands :stuck_out_tongue:

obviously you guys dont if your complaining that your spark plugs keep loosening.

i don’t think they’re denying that one.

Just run a garden hose down there and clean that shit out.

And this definitely deserves a…

:picard:

what’s a torque wrench?

For once Gonad you are definatly right… I do deserve that ^

lol whats the torque for spark plugs since we on the topic :stuck_out_tongue:

FSM on S14/SR20 etc lists 11-14lbs… I would imagine its the same for the KA as well.

12.7 vs 14.5 …

who’s picarding who now!

sick burn.

I am…at myself :frowning:

wow…

:picard:

Just do them Hand tight. Feel how it should be with the torque and then do it by hand, plugs don’t need to be torqued come on.