Remember my thread about losing to China?

Good thing I can speak limited Spanish, then!

I’m sorry ;(

sorry to hear, that sucks

similar to your situation, i was wondering this the other day

for example, what is going to happen to our defense industry? many of todays modern aircraft use parts that are contracted out from suppliers in other countries, what is going to happen if they no longer agree with us and stop selling their products. by this point our manufacturing core will have already been outsourced and we will not have the ability to quickly develop an industry to supply ourselves with parts.

I have a concern that we are becoming far to reliant upon other countries manufacturing espicially in the defense industry, we are not even self sufficient to providing parts for our own military anymore, let alone the private sector…

Hmm… We go through about 3k/year of a cylinder that’s designed kind of goofy and costs too much. No need to go into the details of how we do it on a public forum but if a better way of doing it is something you guys would be interested in taking a crack at then give me a contact and I’ll send over the specs.

Yep, just re-read that thread and I agree. Until there is a huge cultural shift there is very little that can be done. There will always be a company out there that finds a way to lower prices by shopping globally, and as long as the consumers only look for the lowest price other companies will have to do the same to compete.

Well you could either
A) lobby for massive tariffs to even out the cost or
B) Figure out that the US isn’t going to be manufacturing much anymore and get into a different industry

The unions will lobby for A until their blue in the face and red in the bank and then B will happen.

B) We can all fight for the jobs that immigrants are now doing, like picking lettuce.

That is why we need a cultural change.
No one cares about illegals because no one wants those jobs anyway, until all of the other jobs are outsourced.
Eventually the Mexicans will be going back to Mexico for jobs.

Fighting for the jobs that illegals are doing now isn’t going to stop the loss of manufacturing jobs.

Changing the culture of America so that Americans buy an equal quality item for 4-5x the cost isn’t going to happen. I’ll pay slightly more for an equal product, maybe even twice the ammount, but I wont pay 8K for a TV made by Americans when I can get the same TV from Japan for 2K. That’s just silly…that would be economic welfare. We’re either going to impose monster tariffs, that will inturn make the cost of everything higher in order for American companies to compete in America, and that’s going to supercharge inflation. Or we can cut the losses and figure out something else to do with American workers currently in manufacturing.

I’m all for American prosperity but it’s a changing world, and we have to change with it, progress as an economy and as a country.

As I said in the other thread:

I know you didn’t ask for sympathy, but you have mine. It is increasingly hard to see a bright future for the American middle class. I think we are headed for a future with a few well-off people, a relative handful of truly rich, a huge group of working poor and people on welfare, and a small and shrinking middle class. While the economy, viewed as economist does, may be in fine shape (i.e. the GNP/capita and average income will be high) the social fabric will be frayed and torn. Crime will go up, and politics will become even more polarized and crooked.

All on the altar of free trade. Enjoy your cheap foreign goods while ye may. No matter how cheap they are, you won’t be able to buy them when you are unemployed or making minimum wage with no benefits.

yea, we (my company) took this option … seems to make the most sense

There are tens of millions of good paying mfg jobs that can’t be replaced by WalMart overnight.

In other words the “good” jobs are leaving much faster than they can be replaced by comparable jobs.