S14 Race Car Update

i think he might be serious on that actually.

sasha…i will eat a rad cap if you get your car down to 2188lbs :slight_smile:

come up to ORF and we can corner weigh it and then 100% you will know its real weight…i would guess 2300-2400lbs or so

OH NOES!!

not that i think sasha’s car will be that light, but that’s a sick challenge. i think attendance for your SONR meet might shoot up if you do the corner weighting the same night.

oh man, a rad cap?

i dont know what would be worse, chewing into the sharp metal edges or swallowing the metal spring that would dig in on its way down!

ok adam i’ll take you up on it, im going to throw a few more things together on the car and then i’ll bring it up and see how much she really weighs. it doesnt have the new wheels on it yet, but the wheels it does have will be about equal weight (stock fronts, hannabis on the back). it’s also missing a diff, so i’ll bring a diff along and we can toss it in the car when we weigh it haha

im actually scared, because i feel ive been a bit optimistic looking back on things :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s without you in it too I’m assuming…

you calling sasha fat? lol i joke!

^ lol he jokes (eh?)

I think it should be withing +/- ~150 from 2200lbs since Sasha works out for weight reduction, I come weight reduced stock. I think ADAM might be eating rad caps.

With Sasha in it, because let’s be realistic, the car is going to be driven by a driver sitting in the seat…

It’s not what it does on the way down — it’s what it will do on the way out.

Youch!!

EMI = electromagnetic interference

EMI from spark plug wires can cause erroneous signals to be sent to engine management systems and other on-board electronic devices used on both racing and street vehicles in the same manner as RFI (radio frequency interference) can cause unwanted signals to be heard on a radio receiver. Engine driveability problems ranging from intermittent missing to a dramatic loss of power can result when engine management computers receive signals from sensors that have been altered by EMI radiating from spark plug wires. This problem is most noticeable on modern street vehicles used for commuting where virtually every function of the vehicle’s drive train is managed by a computer.

For many reasons, the effect of EMI on engine management computers is never predictable and, often, improper diagnosis for a driveability problem results in huge repair costs for a consumer because engine management sensors and other parts are replaced when all that was needed was a set of ignition wires capable of suppressing EMI (usually replaced as the last resort). As production vehicles age, engine management sensors, connectors and wiring deteriorate (and corrode) and become more susceptible to EMI radiated from spark plug wires not able to adequately suppress EMI. The problem is often exacerbated by replacing the original ignition system with a high-output system.

Unfortunately, the claims in promotional literature and advertisements that so-called “super conductors” and “low-resistance” spiral conductor, as well as so-called “built-in capacitor” wires are EMI suppressed are as factual as other claims you see for the same wires such as: “300 times more powerful spark” — “30 times more spark energy” — “15 times more powerful” — “over 300% more spark energy” etc. In reality, it is impossible for “low-resistance” spiral conductor and so-called “built-in capacitor” wires to properly suppress EMI (or increase sparks or horsepower), even with the application of a short-lived conductive coating (in which the spark current actually travels when the wires are new) over the conductors’ spiral windings

Performance parts marketers of “low-resistance” spiral conductor wires in particular have always claimed their wires provide RFI suppression (which can be heard on a radio), but in reality, the RFI suppression provided is far from adequate. Fortunately for the marketers, in anticipation of promised additional spark energy and horsepower, most consumers who listen to FM broadcast stations and drive in areas where AM radio signals are strong will accept less RFI suppression than that provided by original equipment ignition wires.

all of that was taken from http://www.magnecor.com

seems to have some accurate information.

Sasha you should pay attention to this more so becuase of the fact you are running an amplified ignition system, therefor you have the potential to have increased problems over a stock system.

I highly recomend separating your plug wires with even some BASIC plug loom stands. Im very confident that it will improve your system with NO drawbacks.

GT

i am assuming Sasha is NOT in the car for the weight I said…

when your car is ready to go…give me a shout…and we can corner weight it …or at the least weigh it

yea this is the cars weight, my GOAL for the season is 2300lbs with me in it. we’ll see if i can make it or not, i’ll be happy if its under 2350.

greg, what do RFI signals have to do with the voltage going through wires? i could see it disturbing signals in other wires (although ALL season i didnt have a single problem) such as signal analog signal wires, but a spark plug wire is not a signal, so being close to anotehr spark plug wire doesnt really matter i would think.

I just find it interesting that out of the entire engine bay you didnt say anything except “yo guy your spark plug wires are too close together” but anyways no big deal i appreciate yoru input and ill look into it.

Adam i’m excited to see what the car does weigh, i coudl bring it up anytime next week that you’re free. We’ll just weigh it because im getting new coilovers and still doing a bunch of stuff so i wouldn’t want to waste your time with corner weighing the car.

Or we could wait until the car is totally done (after i get new coilovers) and weigh it, that would be in march or so.

whatever you want is cool… it would make sense to do a proper corner weight…it will only take 1-2hrs or so to do it…

and its easy with the shop hoist… do you use staggered tires or the same all the way around?

RFI would cause a problem if you ran a helmet headset. EMI causes problems with signals being sent to the EMS from your sensors. As would any electromagnetic pulse. The other problem that could arise would be cross firing causes by “Induction cross-firing results from the magnetic field produced when an electrical current passes through a spark plug wire, causing two cylinders to fire at the same time. If crossfiring is allowed to occur, one cylinder has the spark plug firing ADVANCED 90° from the proper time.”

Staggered

so if its advanced 90 degrees the car will make serious jam i dont see whats wrong with that mMMMMMMMMMMMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Adam:

275F 305R

I would love to cornerweigh the car adam, if its not too much of your time, i really appreciate it! We’ll talk more at the meeting and sort stuff out im sure

Whatever dude…

making the joint between the two hot pipes stronger:

http://www.ziptied.com/forum/files/picture_253_medium_104.jpg

http://www.ziptied.com/forum/files/picture_252_medium_108.jpg

all products were designed in solid works and then stress tested. oh wait no, i just used common sense to design the stuff. uh oh that must mean its going to break!

also ordered some 3" and 4" gangster ducting so im not going to home depot before every race for new ductwork

http://www.hrpworld.com/client_images/ecommerce/client_39/products/1531_2.jpg

As a general rule of thumb, you’re not supposed to bracket anything except flex hose (read: non hardpipe) to the chassis if it’s connect to the motor. That bracket will probably break.

No need to design it in solidworks it’s just common sense…