THE **iPhone** Thread (GPS, JailBreak, Apps, Etc)

Jailbroken already :slight_smile:

I am gonna buy one as soon as ATT unlocks my fucking account. 72 hours is coming at 2pm. If I still cant get one by the end of today I am demanding more of a credit.

DEMAND, DEMAND!!!

nice to hear on the jailbroken. the unlocking is going to be even more important on this one because no one who has AT&T will buy one on ebay for $500ish when they can just get one with a contract for $200.

Ya as soon as I get the damn thing I am gonna get it unlocked. I am just going to tell them I am traveling for my company.

Coolest free app I’ve downloaded so far is Shazam. Hold the iphone up to any song being played anywhere and in 15 seconds or less it gives you song name, artist, and album. Sometimes even youtube clips.

I was trying to beat it using the music channels on Dish Network and it was even figuring out the obscure stuff.

VZW has had that for ~1 year + with Song ID - the youtube vids.

just sayin

^ Yeah, but you have to pay a month fee for vcast don’t you?

no, its a free download/ free service.

Yeah my N75 and BJII both have something called MusicID that do that. Still cool though

MustID w/ ATT is #43 and costs $.99 / song last I checked

Yeah, Shazam on the iPhone is free to download and free to use. My co-worker with a bunch of obscure broadway stuff has been trying to stump it and hasn’t yet.

EDIT: I didn’t want this to turn into some Verizon humper vs ATT humper thread.

It’s a cool app, it’s free. If you have an iPhone get it. /story. :slight_smile:

This was an actual app that came preinstalled on my nokia and i downloaded on the BJ. No per use fees, just uses data.

Jailbreaking my iPhone 3G now :slight_smile:

Will post results shortly

Update: All jailbroken. If you do a backup before like it says, you keep all your contacts after you jail break it. Only thing that sucks is that you need to resync all your music.

Get the torrent and instructions here: http://www.users.on.net/~thevillage/pwnage/win/iPhone%203G%20Jailbreak.torrent

Cool I’ll be getting ahold of you in a bit when I jailbreak mine

Update 2: Got a chance to play around with this tonight. When I had everything restored, I found the Apps from the App Store did not work. They loaded then crashed. I had to uninstall them and reinstall them to get them to work.

Also, the default installer is called Cydia which has a lot of system programs and unix tools. My next task is to get the AppTap installer on there.

Really no point to install the jailbreak. It helps you keep it open for the time being as the apps are being proted to the 2.0 firmware. With any major release, a lot has changed so there is a time to port.

There is some fun programs up on it like nmap so you can sniff devices on wireless networks and stuff but its kind of limited. Oh, the NES emulator is on there.

on the app store?

no the jailbreak repo

side note: http://lifehacker.com/398961/get-your-computer-online-using-your-iphones-data-connection

does work. just did this at starbucks. best part is no cables either. just create a wireless network. great speeds. only thing was I had to turn off the auto lock on my iphone becuase it kept going into sleep mode and turning off its wifi

Why would I want to jailbreak my iphone??? Now with apps and all that…

Well the Apps are cool but a jailbreak allows full access to the phone and applications that are not on the App Store. Also, the ability to tweak things on the phone eventually will come that will not be on the app store. Two big ones I am looking for is a visual mail alert popup like SMS so you don’t have to unlock it to see you have new mail. Also, a longer or pulsing viberate on the SMS becuase I never feel it.

Other bonuses are just internet connection sharing and the NES emulator right now but more will come soon.