This is not the DROID you are looking for.......move along

Anyway. I’m off to play Forza. Have a good night.

which exactly can be done with homebrew apps? I only see one on here (themes)

1. The ability to select the address in a contact card to open Sprint Navigation
  2. Visual Voicemail
  3. The ability to change the sounds for notifications on an application basis (different sounds for IM, SMS, calendar), also the ability to disable them
  4. The ability to be more selective with Synergy. For instance, being able to only merge contacts with Facebook that are already in your phone and not import new ones.
  5. The swipe up from the gesture area should collapse back to card view AND open the launcher in a single gesture, rather than requiring two.
  6. An easier method of merging contacts. For instance, select a “merge mode” then click multiple contacts and click a “merge” button at the bottom. Include the ability to perform multiple merges from this mode without having to exit and re-enter.
  7. The ability to delete and mark (as unread/read) multiple e-mails at once
  8. Quick and easy keyboard shortcut for “Tab”
  9. Be able to change the skin/theme for the phone dialer.
  10. Select multiple amounts of time to snooze an appointment reminder in Calendar (i.e. 5, 10, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.)
  11. Voice command dialing via the speakerphone
  12. Ability to remove any of the default apps (at least the icon from the desktop!)
  13. The ability for the media player to tag Podcasts separately from music so music and podcasts aren’t merged in playlists.
  14. Ability to copy and paste static text
  15. Ability to save images from websites with a shortcut (press and hold or orange button and press)
  16. Ability to open links in new cards with a shortcut
  17. Ability to save attachments of supported media types from e-mail
  18. The center button should light up when you have new notifications and the phone is asleep.
  19. Better predictive text/autocorrect/spellcheck for text input.
  20. Profile manager that allows you to set profiles based on time changing the ringtones, volumes, notifications, etc whether you’re at work, home, or otherwise.
  21. Universal search that searches e-mails, conversations, and app catalog.
  22. The ability to select all (Gesture area + A)
  23. The ability to “mouse over” links, images, etc (Gesture area + Tap? Perhaps tap and hold?)
  24. Center button turns on screen and prompts an unlock (Press button while phone is locked and be prompted for unlock)
  25. Ability to forward SMS/MMS messages
  26. Video recording through the camera
  27. Proximity sensor turns the screen on and off rather than fading in and out.
  28. Contact/Applications grouping and sorting options (Work, Friends, Social, etc)
  29. Background queuing and downloading for applications.
  30. Mandatory loading screen for 3rd party applications. It isn’t that bad for applications with small footprints, but some take 5-10 seconds to load.
  31. The ability to scrub through music.
  32. The ability to view animated gifs in the browser.
  33. Allowing searching for text within web pages.
  34. Virtual keyboard when phone is in landscape mode
  35. Picture rendering should be optimized. Currently, switching between them and having them render takes around 3.5 seconds. That’s a long time to wait for a picture when you are just shuffling through them.
  36. Emoticon support for text messages
  37. Ability to connect to other Pres (or other devices in general) via Bluetooth to share contacts/calendar events/etc
  38. The ability to manage the media player while the phone is locked
  39. Alarms for the Task application
  40. Ability to render Java applets in the browser.
  41. The ability for the phone to notify you again if you have an unread notification. (Perhaps set it to notify you every 5 minutes, or other time period, until you unlock the phone).
  42. The ability or option to split IM/SMS conversations into individually cards (one card per conversation).
  43. The ability to lock/password protect applications.
  44. Voice Recording

I haven’t logged off yet, but I am now. Before I go, here is what is in the homebrew (via Preware/WebOS Quick Installer)

Awesome, can you list the name of the homebrew apps I need to do the above. Specifically #'s 3, 7, 12, 19, 25, 34, 42

Thanks!

Okay. Do the following:

1. Download WebOS QuickInstaller (.jar file - make sure you have the latest Java installed on your PC) - http://www.precentral.net/sites/precentral.net/files/webos-homebrew-apps/wosqi/WebOSQuickInstall.jar

2. Download and install WebOSDoctor Recovery Rom (Required for WebOS QuickInstaller) - http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/p121r0d10092009/sr1ntp121rod/webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.jar

• Do not run WebOSDoctor, or you may inadvertently erase your device to WebOS factory settings
  • Copy that .jar file to the same folder as WebOSQuickInstall.jar (I have it in C:\Palm Stuff)
  1. Enable DevMode by typing “upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart”, opening the DeveloperMode app, and enabling the feature. The phone will reboot. Plug your phone into your PC via USB and select “Just charge”

2. Now double-click WebOSQuickInstall.jar (I made a shortcut to my desktop from it’s location in C:\Palm Stuff) and (as long as Java is installed properly) it will launch.

3. Install Novacom

• You can manually install Novacom by going in WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the “Attempt Novacom (re)installation” button.
  1. Once WebOS QI launches, click on bottom icon on the right (I think it’s like an arrow and a hard drive). Change the drop down through the various feeds until you find “Preware”. Click download, then click install, and it should appear in your apps list.

At this point…knock yourself out. You’ll find a lot more stuff than just how to make the numbers you want work. There is like 90 total tweaks last I checked. Stuff like your personal avatar in messaging, snooze times, landscape mode for PDF app, etc.

Source (I worded it slightly different/order): http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-software/206905-webos-quick-install-v2-7-beyond.html

Preware info: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/199090-preware.html

I know how to install homebrew apps. I want to know which apps or tweaks I need to install to do the numbers I listed. ^^

Do you have Preware installed? I’m not talking about downloading the IPK’s.

There is a whole category just for patches in Preware. Or you can do it all through WebOS Quick Installer (forget which menu at the top it was…device management?)

Most importantly to me… can to droid or the pre operate a quality visual voice mail like the idont?

The Pre does not have visual voice mail. Yet. Do not know about the Droid.

It’s under Tools > Tweaks in WebOS QuickInstaller.

The droid and I think all Android devices have it, also the ability to use google voice if you’re using that.

I am using it, never have to give my real number to people and all messages is in my gamail inbox. The DROID also came with the most sublime GPS package, beating out anything that is in a smartphone.

Trying to think of a few ways to save and extra $40 a month so I can get the phone…:lol

With the option to see the real street view with GPS instructions layed over it, like in Google street view, it beats out just about any GPS system. How long did you have to wait for your google voice invite?

I didn’t get my account through invites. I signed up for GrandCentral, a few years back, before it was Google Voice. When GrandCentral became Google Voice, my account became a google voice account. :thumbup

The other nice thing about the GPS feature is you will never have to upgrade maps.

Does google maps go off of the cell netowrlk or are the maps stored in the phone and just updated?

because now thats still the #1 downfal of phones with GPS… if you have no reception or really bad reception maps wont load or load very slow and can mess you up…

Where as a real GPS they are stored and well gps works pretty much everywhere

I believe you need to maintain data connection for the GPS to work, which makes coverage that much more critical. It is a smartphone with GPS feature, so it will not work like a stand alone dedicated GPS device.

Check out this video, if you haven’t seen it already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXK4jKN_jY

The Pre also has google voice for anyone wondering (mafdark perhaps). I don’t use it though.

Correct, it uses the data network for GPS so no signal means no GPS. Also means it will kill your battery while in use. So its not really a complete replacement for a GPS unit but its more than sufficient for most uses.

Their was an iphone gps that allowed the download of the map on your phone, granted it wasnt tiny, took up almost a gig of space for the northeast but it was nice… even if you ddient have a cell signal it was not an issue…

This should be an option for these smartphones

That isn’t the correct useage of terms there.

The gps signal is in fact satilite GPS… good maps and on the pre “sprint navigation” the route as well as the map are fed over the data…

In other words, your phone will know your “location” without data signal, but it won’t be able to show you it on a map that you can understand.

it shouldn’t take long before these phone can hold enough info to actually store all the info that tom tom or garmin units hold allowing them to be stand-alone without a data signal.