My palm pre (sprint) review

I picked up the palm pre over the weekend and have played with it enough to have an initial review.

The good:
-small, sleek, design that looks good.

-sync with gmail/facebook
*always handy, I know have a pile of numbers saved of people I rarely ever call. While this seemed like a “bad” at first once you utilize the search function you realize you will never actually thumb through your list to find someone.

-the cost (of service)
*after haggleing with the sales person I worked out a 4 line 1500 minute unlimited GPS, data, messaging plan for less than $40 per person with 3 free phones. Compared to Iphone this is pennys.

-combined chat
*Got a text from the phone my girlfriend was trying out, later on in the day an instant message, and later a text from her other phone. It all gets put into one conversion with icons which denote where her message came from.

-turn by turn GPS navigation
*works quite well except a few times when it was worse than retarded: Turn left, than make a U-turn. (give me one example when that would make sense)

-Multi-tasking “cards”
*unlike the Iphone you can load a webpage while you do something else on another card. Real nice feature but probably is the cause of the battery problems.

-Slide out keyboard
*it may be small but its much easier to handle than the Iphone’s interface. Not to mention it doesnt cover up the screen. All it needs is a tab key for username/passwords type of fields.

-Removeable battery
*if you want this phone talk the sales guy into giving you a free battery so you can charge both and actually use it for a day.

-notification bars

• bars at first let you know about an event (alarms, calender event, email, message…) then after you ignore them for a while they turn into small icons in the corner. Icons also include the media player if its playing in an unopened card you can click the music icon to get a popup bar with pause/forward/back controls without stopping what your doing.

The bad:
-No good apps… at all (ok maybe pandora)

-no video recording

-Small space
*non-expandible 8gb storage is not enough for something that is supposed to be able to hold all my music and the lastest episodes of topgear. Compared to my 16gb ipod touch the lack of storage on this is frustrating. (yes Palm 8gb $199, Iphone 16gb $199)

-Slow
*once I added my music it takes forever to open up something like the camera. Forget about having multiple cards open.

-in accurate touch
*I keep looking for a way to calibrate the touch screen but in realitiy calibration is not the problem, the device simply isn’t intuitive and when you touch the point which is selected is very small the combination of the two makes it nearly impossible to hit links on web pages without zooming in quite a bit.

-Battery life
*with the sounds turned off, no cards open, and it in my pocket for 8 hours at work I can bring the battery down to 10% by flipping online in just one hour. This will be a device that needs to remain plugged in (spring for the car charger)

-Web browsing
*sucks ass, why can’t I get on forums? It wont let me sign in. When I finally trick it to let me sign in it signs me out on ALL forums when I hit CP.

-Dock/menu
*Things like the web browser and my music can only be accessed by a click through the menu/dock that is at the bottom of the screen. With a phone this slow I’d rather have it on the desktop at all times.

-Sounds
*when you hit the side volume controls on the side it only controls ringer volume. To turn off message sounds and email notifications you have to flip through a few different menus to be able to turn off/down the sounds. This is a bit rediculous and makes it a real pain in the ass to take to a movie or in the classroom.

-No calls when…
*apparently you cannot recieve calls when connecting the phone to your computer to sync songs or other media, another thing I just found out is that if you let it die (like today after only 12 hours of being on with very little use) it will take over 15 minutes of charging before you can power it back up.

-No visual voicemail
*are you kidding me? And this is being compared to the Iphone why?

The real nail in the coffin:
-The service
*The salespeople at sprint were quick to tell me that their service isn’t as bad as people say anymore because they now share towers with Verizon. Well the truth is there service is still terrible. It seemed like I could never get it to “switch towers” when I wanted it to, keeping me on Sprint with one bar when I was talking, or “Roaming” on Verizon when I wanted the internet, which you can’t access without the sprint network. This means I can’t get google maps, email, or use web browsing in my house, at my work, anywhere I tend to spend the most of my time. When it finally flips back to sprint I get one bar and the internet is too slow to use.

Possible redeeming factor:
-Free updates
*rumors are that Palm will be making multiple updates to fix some of the problems I have listed here (some of them are very easy to fix), or to add new features such as video recording.

My suggestions: Pay the extra bucks for the right service AT&T or verizon (I don’t have personal experience with AT&T but I haven’t heard many complaints) Either wait for the Palm Pre to be released on Verizon in 6 months which will probably be right about when they fix all the bugs, or pick another phone (Iphone)

Bonus info: I’m pissed I can’t delete the NASCAR app that comes with the phone. WTF, I refuse to associate with anything nascar.
Any idea as to how many people ask me why I have a nascar app on my phone? a: all of them.

Sounds like I’ll stay away from the Palm Pre.

x2 WinMo FTW!

Good review bro, i like how it was very unbiased. I looked into these briefly, but ended up sticking with my old neglected WinMo platform because i can do everything i need for free.

The battery life is probably the same across smartphone platforms. I know her Berry Storm sucks, mine will only go 1 day, & with data off 3 days. (fucking non-push email is GAY). I dunno bout the i-phone cuz they’re gay.

Anyway, sweet phone, root that bish and start having some fun. :thumbup

[quote=Wayne64SS;367820]x2 WinMo FTW!

Good review bro, i like how it was very unbiased. I looked into these briefly, but ended up sticking with my old neglected WinMo platform because i can do everything i need for free.

The battery life is probably the same across smartphone platforms. I know her Berry Storm sucks, mine will only go 1 day, & with data off 3 days. (fucking non-push email is GAY). I dunno bout the i-phone cuz they’re gay.

Anyway, sweet phone, root that bish and start having some fun. :thumbup[/q

Iphones batterylife is decent… it will last me a whole day if i just use everything causualy… but if im playing a game, using the internet or whatever for long periods of time i get maybe 4-5 hours out of it.

I’ve used my friends Palm Pre many times since he’s gotten it (since I can’t get mine until July 1st cause that’s when my upgrade kicks in) and it’s actually not that bad.

My friend had to get his phone exchanged because his camera didn’t work at all, and they told him to drain and charge the battery 3 or 4 times (this supposedly improves overall life?).

As far as service goes, I’ve had Sprint for 6 years. I really don’t know what people are talking about when they say Sprint has shitty service. I have ZERO issues and I live in the middle of f’in no where. The only place I have issues at is work (I work in the ‘basement’).

That being said, Sprint internet speed > *

As far as the apps - it just came out. They haven’t released the SDK I’ve heard, which is why there isn’t many apps. Only a few pre-selected developers got the SDK. Give it time. It’s not like the iPhone had 42524242 apps it’s first month.

Give it time. Firmware and software updates will resolve many of the issues.

Apple kind of forced Palm hand on this one because they were releasing the new iPhone the following week and Palm didn’t want to get over shadowed (which it is going to regardless).

The Pre is supposed to CHALLENGE the iPhone not beat it. The Pre has the most potential out of any phone on the market to challenge the iPhone market share.

I think this phone will really challenge the iPhone:
http://www.htc.com/www/product/touchpro2/overview.html

Heyyyy, I like that.

I dunno…my brother has the HTC Touch (the one that came out last year). It’s nice, but the iPhone is a lot to beat.

The HTC Touch Pro? That’s what I have. The only thing I have against it is the smaller screen. The HTC Touch Pro 2 has a large screen like the iPoon.

I believe it’s the diamond. The pro just has a few more features over the diamond…so it’s basically the same phone.

Regardless, give the Pre time. It’ll be nice once they do some updates.

xcellent write up

If its still windows mobile then probably not…

The whole reason people love the iPhone as a touchscreen device is because its smoother and more accurate than any other touchscreen phone out on the market right now hands down and you dont need to be an iphone to know that

Apple fanboi, go play with your macbook and rub one out to your VW bug :rofl

JK

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Dood I told you not to tell anyone about my beetle :Idiots

btw parking lots where lets do this

Lets switch phones for a week?

This thread makes me love my curve even more. Sorry for your loss.

On battery life- I surf the internet on my phone on avg for about 3hrs a day, and am constantly receiving ims/texts/calls. I have never had the battery below 1/3 of its life, even after listening to pandora for three hours WHILE surfing the web.

And just to let you know, I’m currently posting this from my curve, while taking a steamy poop.

But your curve looks like crap.

iPhone/HTC Touch/Palm Pre = Sexiest phones around.

Everything else = ugly crap or ‘steamy poop’.

I jizzed in my pants when we got our Pre demo at Best Buy. I started fooling around with it, then saw the exact things as you. Sprint’s service is good around cities, but other than that, you’re fucked. Did you notice the sharp edges of the phone? There’s a video on youtube of someone cutting cheese with it.

What exactly is ‘ugly’ about this:

http://www.rimarkable.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/blackberry-curve-8900.jpg

I’d say it’s a really attractive phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qocp-1HvFc8

:rofl

curve is a great phone.

i think the TP2 is going to be awesome though. I will def get one when it comes out.

Sprint service SUCKS at my house. My phone won’t last 5 hours there, its constantly coming in and out of roaming and shit. When i get home i lock to verizon towers, i can’t have data connection, but the phone will last 3 days.