What's the deal with the old Civic VX's?

So I’m looking up random facts/specs about random cars like I do, and I come across the EG hatch Civic VX and see that it’s rated at 5X mpg highway. It’s a 4 cylinder gas engine! Not diesel, not 3 cylinder, not hybrid! Holy fawk! I see that it’s <2100 pounds and only makes like 90 brake horse, but did they have to do anything else special to hit that sort of gas mileage?

It kind of saddens me that Honda was able to produce that in the early 90’s, yet we’re still looking to hybrids to get close to the same fuel economy 15 years later. God knows the engineering is there. It’s just marketing and politics that are getting in the way of 50+ mpg vehicles.

So aside from being light and low powered, what else did they have to do to get that kind of economy? Run it really lean like the more recent Civic HX’s?

Here’s some info regarding what I’m talking about. Scroll about 45% down or hit ctrl-f -> VX.

http://home.flash.net/~lorint/lorin/hybrid/

ODBII doesn’t help newer emissions. Stuff like that. Safety features. It all adds on

I have two VX’s the '93 with 377k and the '94 with 180k…they’re fun cars, so practical. Blast to work on too, total simplicity no p/s or a/c. Buy one if you can find one. They’re decently peppy off the line too for 90hp.

Stock wideband O2 sensor :wink:

thay had that vtec-e motor supposedly better on gas mileage, layzie had one before the swap(s), got mad good MPGz y0

edit: alot of cdm models were made i believe

brilliance!

:smiley:

buy one if you can find one, they are already wired for vtec so maybe your friend’s jackass girlfriend will crash her gsr and you’ll have a reasonably easy swap on your hands :gotme: ;)anyway, i don’t think they got 5x mpg. they were good on gas, but i don’t think they were that good.

Vx’s got 50s with ease

92hp@5500rpm
97lbs@3000rpm

47/56 mpg this is for the 95.

In 1996 the oil companies effectively blocked the sale in the United States of the successor to the VX, the Civic EX. This economical wonder came in at 68mpg highway, possible by downsizing the motor and using the same VTEC-E technology. Such a shame we never saw the car over on these shores. At least pressure has now made it possible to see the efficient Insight sold here.

wtf.

torque monster :eek:. I need one of these.

i had a 91 hatch vx and honestly it has been my favorite car so far. No power steering no a/c, 4 speed transmission and no mirror on the passanger side and i will never forget the sweet 2 speaker stereo system, it was an awesome car to drive for what it was.

no p/s no a/c, vtec, no pass mirror…sounds like my cvic.

The do infact get 5x mpg. The '93 averages exactly 50 and the '94 gets about 53.

'94+ has the pass mirror

i want the wheels it came with.

i once got to toronto and back in a 88 civic 4dr on under 2.5 gallons of gas.

I must say, the Civic’s are terribly fun to drive. I mean, I got arguably the beatest looking Civ on the planet…and I love driving it still.

didn’t realize the mpg was that high, i guess i stand corrected

i haven’t had a radio for over a month now and i don’t even mind, that’s how much fun they are.

^Why are they so much fun? Just because they’re extremely light and tossable or something?