00 Civic Si to Auto?

My girlfriend needs a car… she really does not want to spend more than $8000 and if its up to me, she is getting a Honda… so, as I search for Civics, there really are not that many decent ones out there.

Well… we have one down at the shop here, its one of my guys, it was hit lightly in the front end… its fixed now and looks like new. Its a 2000 blue si, only problem, there is no way in hell she is even going to think about learning how to drive a 5 speed.

So being that said… I can get the car for $6500… so… what all will I need to change to put an automatic in it? Tranny, ECU, pedal, and shifter assy? What tranny would be the cheapest and easiest to install and how much am I looking at for the parts, etc… Im sure there are a lot of auto trannys out there laying around, plus I can get a pretty penny for the Si tranny. Can I swap in an auto for around $500? I can do the labor, im just talking parts.

The other thought was to sell the B16 swap and throw a single cam in it… any ideas?

It if far more difficult so swap manual-to-auto, than it is to reverse it. Due to all the wiring involved to control various sensors for the autobox, I have not seen an instance where all functions intended for the auto were useable. The hole in the exhaust tunnel will need to be opened for the shifter box, and a couple sensors will need to be added, and I
m not 100% sure the existing manual harness accommodates them. It’d be more hassle than it’s worth, I think.

It would be easier to find an auto Civic in the year she likes, then but a b18b motor/tranny into it if she needs an auto.

I figured it would be easier to swap it to an auto… guess not… that why I figured I would ask you guys, I could give 2 shits less about an “Si” or a b series motor or any of that stuff… im just looking at the price of the car and the condition this car is in… hence why I would even ditch the B16 and throw a single cam in it, even tho thats a sin to the honda community.

Yes it would be a sin. If you own that SI (I’m assuming you don’t, and were considering buying it), that it’s your choice. Not like shit will be talked here at pittspeed :stick:

Costwise, it isn’t your best option. Find here a nice auto Integra 4dr or something. You can find those around pretty often, since most Honda guys don’t go for 4dr’s.

A 99 Civic Si was my 1st car, it was defiantly a fun car… but I could care less about people talking shit about taking the motor and or tranny out of this car, I mean its a 9 year old car and its only $6500… my Rhino cost a lot more than that!

I searched around and it looks like it is a PITA to swap an auto in it… so guess ill just have to keep searching.

I put a D series in a integra,

It would be tuff to put the auto in there. but can be done…

the best thing i would suggest is teach her how to drive a stick. My g/f wouldent ever want to drive an auto ever again because its “boring”.

Well I really dont know your girlfriend, but I can guess that she has this thing called common sense… my girlfriend has never heard of such a thing…

With that said, we will stick to an auto :slight_smile:

Just gonna look for another car.

With that said, anyone interested in a 2000 Si, 145k, $6500.

:rofl:

If all these problems keep popping up with my car…I’ll be looking for a new car shortly.

You might as well find your g/f an 00 Civic EX auto…at least those were availible with ABS (N/A on the Si) or go with the Integra.

If anyone sees anything out there, please send me a PM

Thanks

just teach her how to drive a manual. a new clutch and the bottle of asprin, for the ensuing headache, will be cheaper then swapping to an auto.

My GF just bought a '02 SS M6 about a month ago. She claimed previously 4 ppl have tried to teach her to drive a manual and failed. It took me about an hour and she had it. Now you would never guess she’s only been driving a manual for a month.

The key I found in teaching people is to find the engagement point. I have them sit in the car on flat ground and start by very, very, very slowly letting the clutch pedal come up until they feel it start to engage (rpm drop and car just barely starts to move) then push the pedal straight back down. They do this without touching the gas at all. I have them repeat this over and over increasing the speed they can bring the pedal up with. Before long they can come right to that engagement point very quickly like an old pro. Then I have them bring the pedal to that point as quick as possible, but then practice very smoothly coming through the pickup point still not hitting the gas and get the car moving. Then all you do is have them try adding a little gas as they do it, and it’s amazing how fast they get it.

-TJ

find her an auto integra or older acura cl.

there ya go mark.

Thanks for the ideas guys… Chad, thats a lil high in price for her, I mean it looks like a good deal, but I dont think she could swing it right now with school, etc…

What’s her top dollar?? you know how everything’s negotionable

WTF, mate?

Ahh, you know what I meant.:rolleyes:

DB love biatches! 2 extra doors = more hoes