10/07/2007 Pittsburgh AutoX/Drift Video

Filmed by a couple of my friends and edited/compiled by me. I had gotten the WRX operational less than 12 hours before the event and it had been almost 4 weeks since I had last driven it. They say burning rubber is therapeutic and boy are they right!

Turn the sound up, dim the lights, and get someone to make you a sammich. You’ve got about 10 mins to eat it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8890576492896555452&hl=en

Not too bad. I like the Red WRX with the black wheels

How fast were you guys able to go on that back straight? And how much did that silver WRX piss people off with all that drifting?

Actually people were clapping and several of the corner workers congratulated me as I drove my cool down lap around the pool. I guess it’s not too often you see an AWD car with such ‘rotatability’. With 300 treadwear tires, I could only hit about 55mph or so. I’d imagine race tire folks would’ve been able to carry a lot more speed through the previous corner.

Did you have the change the setup at all to make the rear wheels spin so much? I haven’t seen an AWD car do it quite like that before.

Oh, the two-tone car is yours? I’ve seen it around. Out of state plates

The car has a gear-based front LSD, in car adjustable center diff, and a shitty viscous rear LSD. This was done with the center diff at about 30-40% lock. Also disabled ABS which seems to have given it more rear brake bias. Not 100% sure what is different about the braking system mechanically, but it responds to trail-braking much better now. -3 or so degrees of camber up front and -1.5 in the rear. If I can get my hands on a gear based or clutch-type LSD for the rear, this car would rock even more and not waste the power spinning the inside rear. In the meantime, I guess trail-braking and scandanavian flicking it will have to do.

A friend was describing it. He said “It’s black from the waist down.” :rofl: The black part is actually Duplicolor Truck Bedliner.

Rally, were you at the SCCA #10 event yesterday? I was there in SM…white integra. Turned out to be a beautiful day for burning up some rubber. Chris did a good job with the course layout.

no habib:rant:

Meh, you know…fucking civics are everywhere why bother? :wink:

Steve it was nice meeting you! It was pretty cool seeing a parade of clean integras running around haha. The start on the course sucked, and the one pinch cone at the far side of the course, but I thought the rest of it came out ok. You’ll have to come to some of the SCCA beaverun events we usually run a faster course there. And let Kyle drag you to the time trials on the kart track also!

the awd drift was real nice , how much did all the drifting hurt the lap time?

http://www.nhscc.com/2007/20071007/Oct_7_2007.htm

I know Rally_WRX was somewhere in SM (Street Mod) with the other batch of WRX’s, and I dunno which runs he was drifting on so he can comment on those. I ran #77 in STS, probably would have done a wee bit better overall if I didn’t have to go uphill twice :squint: sorta kills things when your only making 100hp lol.

The drifting increased lap times by about 1-1.5 seconds. I went tail-out on the last 2 runs of the day as I was getting extremely frustrated by driving on 300 treadwear tires in SM. I manged to be the fastest street tired vehicular package (car + driver) in SM while beating out a car shod with RT-615s. I guess that’s something worthwhile. Still I was 4 seconds slower than the class leading Black EVO with cams and race tires. I was 3 seconds slower than a tuned STi on 275mm Hoosiers.

Basically autoXing in SM on 300 treadwear tires is like a retarded fat kid running down a steep hill…

I don’t autoX enough to justify spending money on a good race tire package.

I was there watching, took the big red truck out for a spin and stopped down to watch my buddy run his mr2. It was a good time and funny to watch those tini little go karts fly around the track. That looked like a load of fun.

You mean down at Washington this past weekend? I was surprised a decent amount of locals came out to run to just watch, kinda cool.

Rally_WRX, keep your eyes open there are alot of people dumping the RT-615’s to jump on the Bridgestone bandwagon. You can pickup some grippy tires for cheap if you look around.

What are your thoughts on the RE-01Rs vs. the RT-615s? In your opinion, what is the time difference per minute for an average autoX course?

Well I got the RE01R’s for contingency money (hence ricey stickers up on the fenders/hood) and in theory they have been proven to be a few tenths faster on a average 40-50 second course. Since I started doing national events, if everyone is on the RE01R’s then I better make sure my ass is on them also. All that crap aside, I seriously do like them better than the azenis. They seem to offer better turn-in (azenis always felt a bit vague on my car). And they can hold a little more heat before going out. They seem to work better on larger cars (like Paul’s WRX for example). Mine are worn down past halfway. Once they get that far the thread gets wider at the base of the tread blocks. And the response and grip climbs as a result. The civic has been REALLY fast the past few events because of that. To answer your original question, I say on a 40-50 second course your looking at 3 tenths, maybe 4 tenths gain? Thats just a ball park figured, if you have any other questions you can PM me!