1991 VW GTI - Montana Green

Oh hai! :wave:

Paul B is a myth!

Danger Matt! I miss you. Paul B is not alive! How am i doin this?!

I totally forgot how serious people are on the Internet was. Haha

Wait Paul B is not alive? :frowning:

So I take it this is going to be you drinking in roughly the same area as other people working on your car?

Oh you’ve gone and done it now…

You are going to be hearing from his legal team, erhem I mean co-workers.

Probably.

Typically when we get together everyone gets frustrated teaching me and just shoves me out of the way, relegating me to cheerleader status.

The plan was to start this weekend removing the car, then take some time to clean up the engine bay, do some paint, make it really nice, and do everything as clean and appropriate as possible. So, it’s definitely going to take some time.

At this point I’ve just started taking apart what I can.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Prepare to be blown away:

Euro quad rounds, 30amp circuits each high and low (4 high beams)
Fog lights
VMAXX Coilovers (garbage)
Neuspeed front anti-sway bar 25mm
Neuspeed rear anti-sway bar 28mm
Neuspeed upper strut bar
TT 2.25in aluminized cat-back exhaust, center resonator, Borla muffler
LED brake and tail bulbs
Happich pop outs (Technically Mikey is supposed to come get these back, but I’ve told him 8 times the car is in my garage and he hasn’t yet)
NYS legal tint on all windows
GLI Recaro interior
Momo super teeny steering wheel
Bazooka NOS8 subwoofer, Autotek 7050bts amp - this is the most rad thing in the world - it looks like a can of NOS in the trunk. Except it just makes the car heavier, slower, and louder instead of giving me horsepower.
Sony CDX-900X head unit
Neuspeed short weighted shift
Audi tilt and slide sunroof (which doesn’t work)
Limited Slip Differential !!!
268 Techtonics cam - 92 whp according to Rickybobby’s dyno
Adjustable cam gear
G60 valve cover
BBS wheels with 185/55/15 Michelin X-ice tires
Borbet Type E wheels in Key Lime Green with no tires sitting in my garage - probably going to paint them black
aluminum pedals
mk3 stalks - why, I have no idea. These piss me off and never work right.
chinese door handles - yeah, you read that right.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcwxmvh4cl1r6q8rao1_500.jpg

ownership of this car has mainly been fixing (or rather, sitting around drinking beer while other people fix) small things to get it running and driving perfectly.
The 1.8 has some massive vacuum leaks so rather than fix those, my friend has a 12v VR lying around (since he’s swapping a TDI into his Mk 2, like a boss) so we’re going to stuff that in here and see what happens.

Every Mk II VR I’ve driven (Shea’s, Mintz’s) has been a lot of fun.

Although, I do have a 24v VR in my garage too . . . . word on the street is those are a whore to put into a Mk II

Cool beans man!

An LSD makes a huge difference, my old mk2 vr had one. Highly recommend it :tup:

Sounds like it’ll be fun, any plans for better shocks/springs? How much power roughly are you looking at?

Slow car street mod showdown at an autox this summer?

the pop out rears are the only somewhat “cool” thing by vw fggt standards

ask andre about how much he loves pop out rears for mk1’s

True.

Or ask me how much I love rear pop outs.

I thought you’d be impressed by the Chinese door handles.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Depends on how much money I have left. I just spent 2013s racing budget on a boiler for one of my rental properties.

~150ish wheel, making 184 whp shouldn’t be too tough with the right head / cam combo and a tune

BMW Club Event - heads up / run what you brung. I will also have another car when I pick it up from Lake Saranac sometime this spring, maybe I’ll do a build thread on that - but then again, being broke, that car may sit around for an entire year before I get to it.

Having fun getting the car apart. The exhaust manifold bolts have basically disintegrated and the bolts holding the front bumper on are resisting many of my available tools, including the big fucking hammer and the giant fucking breaker bar, along with my 55 gallon air compressor / impact gun.

Eric will be bringing the heat on Friday night to solve these troublesome whores.

http://files.sharenator.com/180px_Kill_it_with_fire_scorpio_Justine_has_officially_crossed_the_line_Dimebag_is_turning_in_his_grave_s256x192_144468_580_Some_of_the_Worlds_Biggest_Bugs-s256x192-153082-580.gif

Going with Stage 0.5 mounts, because I’m a pussy.

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfist5pomomo.html

A friend used hood pins to hold his mk2 bumper on. It worked well.

Duly noted

Nice ride, currently I’m working on my wife’s OBD1 MK3 GTI 4dr. So far we’ve done ST Coils, 15" Drag wheels, stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel, Techtonics exhaust, and a bunch of sheet metal work. We’ve got some spare parts kicking around so if you end up needing something just send me a pm

Any photo updates?

yes!

http://distilleryimage10.s3.amazonaws.com/4a403aee61d411e2852a22000a9e0709_7.jpg

we’re about an hour from pulling the motor - I’m going to work on disconnecting all the rest of the wires over the week (when I have time, which I rarely do) and the motor should come out Friday.

Then I’m tasked with cleaning / painting the engine bay. It’s not a show car but if we’re gonna do it right, might as well do it right.

As “clean” as the car is, we’ve pretty much snapped 10 bolts clear off at this point. We’ll solve that problem when we get to it.

I can’t wait to do the 16V swap on our MK3, watch the ball joints for the shifter, they’re plastic and break easy…ours is ziptied currently till we can find new ones

if hes going vr6 he will have a cable shifter

marc what bolts broke? i hope not ones with captive nuts