2008 Altime Coupe

Hello All,

Here are some pictures taken from the Nissan (Canada) website.

http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/altima_coupe/images/gal_08_3_lg.jpg
http://www.nissan.ca/en/vehicles/altima_coupe/images/gal_08_4_lg.jpg

And, now for the topic.

I was doing a bit of leisure reading while I was at work when I noticed something about the new features for the 2008 Altima Coupe.

Xtronic CVTâ„¢
Virtually gearless. A zillion variable gear ratios. It’s goodbye to gears with Altima’s revolutionary Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission). This flexible metal belt creates a virtually “gearless” transmission. With infinitely variable ratios, Xtronic CVT™ custom-tailors the engine’s response to meet your demands. Unlike conventional automatic transmissions that experience gear hunting or shift shock, when you press on the accelerator, the CVT maintains engine speed so you’re always in the sweetest part of the power band with amazing smoothness. Ease up on the accelerator and CVT holds the rpm amazingly low, for fuel efficient cruising. Slide Altima’s shift lever over and enjoy manual-style fun, nudging the lever forward or tapping it back to alter the transmission ratios.

Anyone care to elaborate? How can a tranny have no gears? So everything is electronic now? It does sound pretty cool that you can always be in the power band, and the moment you step on the gas, there won’t be a lag like in Automatic cars when it has to downshift, and one second later you’re actually moving forward.

This CVT thing is interesting.

Post your thoughts.

CVT transmission is nothing special or new.

this should clear everything up.

in my opinion, they are not good for anything.

too much torque, and it will snap the band.

stick with manual 5 spd. basic and functional.

I agree. CVTs do not exceed any durability or performance benchmarks.
Sure they can run 150HP all day but throw 500+ HP on it and do non-stop burnouts/drifting and you have a problem.

thanks for clearing that up jacky.

this site is interesting!!

I wish nissan used SMT or best DSG instead of CVT.

Is it just me or does anyone elese see some similarties in the back end compared to the S15?

looks like a pontiac G6 coupe to me, from the side and rear.

i would consider that it looks like a 350Z’s rear and G6 coupe is just trying to copy 350Z’s tail

lol

I have a CVT in my new 07 Pathfinder… takes time to get power in motion when needed, mind you I find it to be superb on gas with everyday driving especially when coasting.

Just my thoughts,
J.

manual is the only way to go with the new altimas and max in my opinion I’ve driven every variation of them 2.5 3.5 mtx and cvt all of it and the mtx is so much better

cvt has a slipping clutch feel off the line and also I find its slower because at WOT it sits the rpm about the powerband so you’re not where you want to be