24 solid state drives....weeeeee

http://i.gizmodo.com/5166798/24-solid-state-drives-open-all-of-microsoft-office-in-5-seconds

holy. shit.

nice.

but now that damn “it’s really fast” jingle is stuck in my head.

Wow.

I would love to see more details about the setup…stripe breadth and what not…

That’s straight sexy.

how much would it cost to ditch the hdd and just use solid state? Or just something better. I hate waiting

for a 160gb SSD your looking at over $700, and thats just for one.

I don’t know a whole lot about pc’s but DAMN, that’s impressive.

impressive…what does having 24 drives do for the speed?

Wow… thats sooo cool!

How much do you think it cost to build that all in all???

From the sounds of it lots and lots O doll hairs.

I’m curious to know the approximate build cost as well… just for shits.

Im just wondering if it really takes 24 drives to do that. could 12 do it? 5? I mean will using 100 drives make it that much faster? there has to be a limit, or atleast some sort of ratio…

The drives are around $800 each (more depending on where you look). So multiply that by 24 and you get $19,200. Add your CPU, memory, vid card, etc etc etc and you’re looking at over $20,000 for a rig like that. In the server realm, that isn’t too absurd. On a desktop level it’s downright silly.

:fry:

In server realm that’s cheap as shit. The defrag was a little skewed as there wasn’t much on the drive. Looks cool though I might have to get one if they come down in price.

Each one does 1/24th of the work, so anything bottlenecked by the hard drive is 24 times faster.

Well, before I get called out by LZ or boredjunky, not exactly 24 but that’s the concept.

my balls just tingled

raid arrays are out of my realm of knowledge :-/

:nerd:

yes in this example it is a RAID 0(stripe)…All those discs show up at physical disk to the computer…

Anyways this configuration while quick…sucks…if one drive died you would be fucked.

how so? Cant you just unplug the bad one and have office open in .49 seconds?