300zx DD'ability and winter-ability

currently considering a non-turbo 300zx, but was wondering if it is a viable option, seeing it will most likely be daily driven (not long distances, just daily errands) and will most likely be able to handle toronto winters. any tips?

It’s like any other sports car in winter, except harder.
Out of all the sports cars on the roads today, the 300ZX was one of the few to get a warning in the early vehicle manuals: “WARNING, DO NOT USE THIS VEHICLE IN WINTER CONDITIONS” or something to that effect.

I did mine for two winters. Once as Non-Turbo. Once as Twin Turbo. I’ve decided that I don’t want to do it again. With its first winter as Non-Turbo, it experienced the most damage. I drove it seldomly this past winter as Twin Turbo but all the signs of the first winter driven started showing up, meaning there was a delayed effect in what I didn’t see from the first winter.

I suggest you look past the 300ZX for driving if you intend on taking it through winter conditions. If you insist, make sure you get the best set of winter tires and drive very short distances. Do not skimp and get only rear winter tires. Get the full set. The 300ZX is not a car to cheap out on.

P.S. I assume you mean the Z32 (1990 - 1996) I’m not sure how the Z31 is in winter but I see them mostly in the winter time and rarely in the summer.

Z32 as DD for running errands ?? Do not buy the Z for DD it is expensive to maintain and not the greatest car on gas, buy a 1.8 or a 2.0 sh*tbox for cheap to get around and buy the Z for cruising and special occasions !!

I use the Z32 as a DD. If you think cheap you’ll be cheap. A 1.8 or 2.0 shitbox is not the answer, assuming the definition of a shitbox is usually a cheap car. The original post gave the impression that another car is not an option and he was just asking how the Z32 is as a DD.

The Z32 can be an extremely efficient car if you daisy drive it everywhere, and a twinturbo Z32 is more efficient than an NA if you stay out of boost. When you go into boost though you can pretty much watch the gas gauge needle go down.

something 35 MPG vs 24 MPG just for running errands in the city.I would go for more efficient FWD vehicle especially since you’ll be driving in the winter.
Plus premium gas is expensive !!
Just my 2 cents

I drive a Jeep as DD :frowning: which I should sell but I love it in the winter, man its killing me !!! HAHA

I have a 95 TT and its my DD… I love it… Not the greatest car on gas… or not the most practical… but damn its fun and loooks hot!.

I would never drive it in the winter tho… I think that would be suicide lol…