300zx tt in cold weather

Hello all,

I am just about to purchase 1992 tt with 165k kilo on it. I am curious to know how turbo handles in cold weather and what are some of the precautions I should take?
I don’t really plan on driving it in the winter. The car is in really good condition and has been pampered since day one…at least they say.
Should I get turbo timers?
As you can see I am a little worried about the twin turbo.

Thanks

P

160K is a fair amount. I’d be looking into the repair history before you purchase. These cars are expensive to fix. Timing Belt? Original Turbos? And do a compression test.

The turbo timer isn’t necessary as long as you allow the car to idle for a bit after a hard run before you turn the vehicle off.

I’ve never driven my Z in the snow but I suspect it would be absolutely brutal!

I haven’t driven my TT in the snow nor will I ever. I have started it up in the winter as I had to move it to rearrange things in the garage otherwise I would not have touched it. As long as you let it warm up well, and like zbullet said, stay on top of the maintanance you will be fine. It will pull strong. Avoid the snow if you can.

J.

Ensure that the 100k kms servicing has been done.
The 200k kms one isn’t going to be cheap either - about $1,000 when all is said and done.

just take it to you r mechanic first he should know how ruff or good it is pluys if u r serious into the Z’s you know it takes care and maintenance to keep her running strong in other words that =$$$$ but let me tell you since i have bought mine it has been the best thing ive spent my money on yet you will just love driving it!

• Put on winter tires.
  • Keep it stock ride height
  • Stay out of Boost - “Turbo Spool = Spinning Fool”
  • Stay out of heavy snow falls

Do all those things and the car will be fine… However

If it’s in great condition stay off the road in the winter. Not that the car is incapable, but if someone hits you you won’t collect on it like you’d expect to and it will cost a lot to repair it.

I can’t stress this enough. STAY OUT OF BOOST!!

Stock turbos Yes. If it’s upgraded with Ball Bearing Turbos then it’s not as important.

Yea I think snow tires are a must for you, I had a mustang GT and it was sooooo bad in the snow until I put some winter tires on it and it was completely fine, granted my original tires were pretty bad :slight_smile: but do what I do…drive something else in the winter, if you want to preserve the quality of this car.