88 Fireo potential?

sounds like a volunteer to me :smiley: lol

this would seem like a really fun project. i vote for a teardown and rebuild with a clean, simple swap. i think i once read somewhere that the Duke was rated at a fire-breathing 88 hp…

I’d be willing to give you a hand on it if you get stuck. I’d rather help you procharge your GTO though. :wink:

yeah… if this goes through, the GTO is staying stock (probably)

I’m gonna find this car and set it on fire tonight then. No way the cops will look into a Fiero catching fire. :lol:

Buy a totaled SHO and swap that motor in back and boost it. Ask somedude how his stock 3.2 holds up to boost. It probably be the cheapest option too!

what are those engines going for?

actually… I think trueblue has one :snky:

edit: not sure how much room there will be to work with though. even with the 4, it’s pretty cramped. Same goes for the 3800 too, it’s gonna be tight.

but shit, the SHO motor, even with mild bolt-ons n/a would be a fun motor for the car IMO. Not lightning quick, but it would probably be a fun ride

i used to have a 88 fiero with the 2.5L and the 5speed. had some konis and some other small odds and ends. loved the car. i want to get another one sometime.

4 banger… crap. the cyl bores are thin and weak and cant handle more than 180 reliably. the crank cant handle more than 5000r’s reliably for extended periods of time.

When I get another one, the last thing ill do to the car is put more weight in the back. i think the smartest swap would be an aluminum ecotec. id keep the ecotec trans and make custom mounts, axles, and cabling to make it work. little bottom end build and a turbo an it would be a fun little beast. :slight_smile:

Brian

LS6 swap … let me know if ya wanna check one out with it already done

if you did an ecotech swap, hahnracecraft has some serious kits for those engines, from 250 to 600whp+, thats where i got my kit

There were several threads of attempted ecotec swaps over on the forum I posted, but I never saw one get completed. I’ve been out of the Fiero game for a while though so you should definitely do a little digging at Pennocks.

As for the SHO… :lol:

Good luck replacing all the electronics in the car. All the engines I listed you can splice a harness together or buy one pre-made. If you’re going to swap stick to GM motors. You have plenty of options.

good point. After seeing this, I’m very interested in a northstar swap… not that I have those kinds of funds, but damn does it look like fun. It’s going to be insane with the blower installed

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078978-9.html

for now though, I’m going to keep researching

wow … northstar swap = :drool:

Why? You could do it for like $1200 total. And the motors are bullet proof and make good power for a car like that.

the 3800 are damn strong motors as well, and would probably be easier for wiring purpases.

plus theres just something wrong with a ford motor in a chevy car :stuck_out_tongue: other way around is fine though. (see LSX Foxbodies :headbang:)

He’s saying it would be a bitch to wire up a Yamaha engine built for Ford into a GM :ohyeah:

But it would be hot to see the snakepit under the hood.

Personally I thought the L67 would be pretty ideal. Cheap, plentiful, good resources and backing, plenty of locals that know their way around them.

For the exact reason I posted after the lol.

some guy already did a SHO swap in a fiero a few years back… he said he’d never do it again cause it was such a PITA. some bob guy. i forget his name.

i think a turbododge setup in the back would be pretty easy and not much heavier than the stock 4 banger weight though id rather have an aluminum engine in the back to save weight. the turbododge and fiero trannies are pretty similar in many ways. if you use dodge saginaw design inner CV joints and fiero half shafts its possible the dodge tranny wouldnt need any axle fab to fit in there. just make some mounts and adapt the shifter cables. shouldnt be too bad. then you can use the older 555/568 trans (very strong) and a 2.4L SRT setup (the old dodge trans and SRT/2.4L/2.0L DOCH motors mate up other than one bolt and you can easily make a tab to join the different holes up) and have factory turbo power in there. the only GM factory turbo setups are the lousy LT3 2.0L sohc and the newer ecotec turbo… while the newer ecotec turbo motor is really nice, the ecu is going to be a pain. the older dodge turbo ecus are fully cracked and cake to wire up as a standalone and the computer can be in the engine bay or in the little trunk back there no problem.

Brian

because a sho is a ford made engine :gtfo:

How about a Yamaha engine in a Chevy car. Because that’s who makes the engine.