89 Sea Doo (time machine)

Ended up taking this off a buddy of mine who owed me some scratch. All I know is it’s an 89 and it actually looks to be in pretty good shape. I plan on re-doing some things on it over he winter but I might just want to tool around on it a bit this summer (like I have the friggin time). The guy my buddy got it from hadn’t run it a 2-3 years and claims it was “winterized” at one point. My buddy never started it either. Wondering if there’s any sort of preparation I should go through before trying to get it to run. I rode one of these ten years ago and that’s about the extend of my knowledge base. Any hints would be appreciated.:pirat:
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/IMG_20130501_174244_029_zps8914ae09.jpg
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa354/arrowenterprises/IMG_20130501_174229_412_zpsba9f62e2.jpg

Sell it to mee.

I’m assuming its “lake cooled” (idk the actual term), so avoid running it for long once it is started unless its in water

1QIKSEADOO

pretty sure you need a license to legally operate jet-skis

Yeah, I’m going to get into all the licensing and safety course stufd but I need to make sure it runs first. I like the name but would make it 1QIKCDO.

The term is raw water cooled, and yeah, this is definitely the case.

It may have a hose hookup near the jet but even if it does you have to be careful running it out of water because the hull seal needs water to keep cool.

My one buddy learned this the hard way on his boat.:slight_smile:

not threadworthy

Yeah, maybe he should be discussing wiping his dick or picking out a stupid watch.

I’m excited to see if you can get this going. Def threadworthy to me.

that thing is ooooooooold

hopefully he didn’t owe you much more than $200

I forsee this thing to be a money pit

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

They are designed to be able to be run out of water, so that saltwater users can (and should) flush them after every use. So yes, they usually have a hose hookup. As a rule of thumb, I would generally recommend idle with only the occasional blip of the throttle to rev the engine as needed. Hoses can only supply so much water.

They are designed for a quick run to flush them out, not to be tuned and worked on sitting in the driveway.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?60157-Keeping-the-seal-cool-when-running-out-of-water

That seal is water cooled/lubricated and it will not get any water from the hose hookup.

I always wanted one of these, but I would think you would want 2, otherwise it won’t be that fun. Unless you have a buddy with one of course…

My wife and I could tool around in this with my boy. My friend also has a boat. I found a thread on another site where a racing team loves that hull platform and said the motors were excellent as well. He detailed some steps to get an idle sitting machine going again to avoid too many issues and parts seem to be readily available and cost effective.

I didnt know you needed a license to operate one…how the heck can you go to any beach and rent them then?

There is a specific exemption for rentals, and the renter has to be over 18.

The license doesn’t even have a picture just make sure someone your with has one and you know their info :lol:

If you’re just taking one for a spin etc

Edit: I should probably take the class one of these days however

There is no way you’d get 3 people on this thing and stay right side up. These are so tippy when stationary, plus there just won’t be any room.

The newer ones have the carbon thru hull seal and the older one like this is most likely the grease packed seal. You can run the carbon seals out of water for a little bit if you fill the inside of the hull with water to lube and cool the carbon donut