AEM Tru-boost overboosting

Correct, for the testing purposes (how it is currently connected) that port has a line coming off it, but it is disconnected from the solenoid and venting to the atmosphere. During normal operation the tru-boost calls for that port to connect to port 2 on the solenoid, and the turbo pressure and lower wastegate port to run to port 1 on the AEM solenoid.

Like you suggested before, hook a line right from the turbo to the side/bottom wastegate port, that will give you an idea of what your spring pressure is, and if you have any ‘creep’ issues.

In general, I’m not a fan of complicated EBC’s with target boost levels, etc. Best luck by far has been with the HKS EVC EZ units.

I have already done just that and it is still boosting smoothly to 27+psi even with the EBC completely out of the picture (other than as a reference to pressure). it doesn’t even seem like a creep, where it will hold at a pressure then start to climb again… it just keeps climbing smoothly…

If it’s making 27psi ‘blowing’ the gate open with boost pressure, then something is wrong with the wastegate, or the line(s) to the gate. I’ve seen rubber (even braided) WG lines look ok at first glance, but be stiff as shit/cracked from heat upon further inspection.

The rubber lines are all brand new (replaced them all with 3/16" fuel line) during the FMIC install). I wasn’t sure if it was either a wastegate problem or if the 38mm was too small for the application… but it sounds like I’ll be taking it apart either way and figuring it out from there.

If you have the top port open and the bottom/side port directly to the compressor(disconnect it from the EBC as well) and its still going to 27psi then the wastegate isn’t opening. tial doesn’t even have springs over 23psi. Is this setup an open dump or rerouted back into the exhaust? If it’s open dump its usually pretty easy to tell if the WG is opening.

Its an open dump. I can hear it opening clear as day… I just don’t know how far its opening or if its fully opening

Isn’t this stock turbo?? Open dump internally gated turbo wat

Its an FP green

Yes, its an FP Green and a TiAL 38mm.

My mistake!

Its ok… we’ll let it slide this time…

Well I’m pretty sure I found the culprit for the overboosting. Pulled the wastegate off after work today and found that only 1 of the 2 unused reference ports appears to have lost its plug. It seems like there was a plug in it at some point but it must have decided to take a leave of absence.

Can someone just verify for me quick so that I am 100% sure that it needs to be plugged. I’m pretty sure it does since without it being plugged the boost reference is just venting and not actuating the wastegate fully.

Thanks in advance.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f367/offroadzj/2004%20Subaru%20STI/562163_10150989992155786_528115785_12838429_488714647_n.jpg

Of course this is a HUGE kick in the balls. All that blood, sweat, cursing, and the massive headache (not even including the money) was all pretty much wasted and a simple $.50 plug would have fixed it… DOH. Oh well, live and learn.

Now to hopefully get ahold of a .8 or 1 bar spring to throw in it before I have to put it back together tomorrow. Anyone have one laying around? If not Brooks said he might have one, but we aren’t sure if it will work or not.

Well I no longer need a spring. I noticed when it was apart that there were 2 springs installed which was a little odd. So I put the wastegate back together and bench tested it. It didn’t open until almost 20psi. So I removed the smaller spring and now its opening at almost exactly 10psi which is perfect. Did a quick test run with light throttle (still not tuned yet) and it was holding strong at 10.2 psi. Now to just figure out how to set the AEM Tru-boost settings and Ill be good to go.