Alpine headunit is acting crazy.

Ok. I have an Alpine Headunit in my truck. It was my son’s, and before that it was Newman’s. Its a flip down reversable one. To my understanding it is about $450 MSRP.

Yesterday, I’m driving, and fiddling around with it, and some of the buttons seem un-responsive. The display then says “Disc Read Error”, and none of the buttons work. I hit eject, and the face plate goes down, but no disc comes out. And the face plate won’t go back up, unless I cut power (turn off the car) and then restart it. I finally got it to work for a second, but when i turned the volume up, the sound cut out, and it started all over again. And I got the disc out, but now, its not letting me put any cd’s in.

I believe its a CDA-983(don’t remember the last digit).

I was told it might need to be service, cleaned, and re-aligned?

Does any one know any other potential problems?

Thanks!

hmm, odd. that never happened to me. It was a really great HU and always performed perfectly. It didn’t like a few burned discs, but other than tht it was perfect.

Yeah, I know. It worked awesome for the longest time, but it just randomly started saying Disc Read Error, and not ejecting the discs.

pull iot out and check all of your power connections…maybe its got that loose wire making it act all funny

Word, if it isnt a connection issue, it might be jacked… :frowning:

its fucked, take it to hi-fi hostpital…

try re-setting it.

o and :lol: at newmans new sig…i liked the “Lotoasubada” better though

Time for a good cleaning. Take it apart, break out the q-tips and rubbing alchohol. Check all the gears and such, it’s probably a lot of caked up dust, etc from use.

Worse case scenario, you may need to replace the laser head and/or a spring or plastic key on the assembly that ejects the CDs.