And another new guy

Hello All! If anyone happens to read the MGB V6 swap story by Capital Region Customs…Yup, that’s my car!
My name is Ralph (wouldn’t make that up), I’ve been around cars all my life (more years than I care to admit to). I grew up on my Fathers gas station and I have been in the auto salvage pool industry for almost 30 years.
I’ve had a bunch of decent cars through the years, '72 340 Cuda, a 60 MGA, several MGB’s, an '02 MINI Cooper that ended up being twin charged (Turbo in addition to the Supercharger). Did a little Dirt racing and I compete in Open Road Races out west.
I figured if my car is going to be in this forum…I might as well join it as well!

Welcome to the forum!

Are you familiar with Darryl from Albany Speed Shop? I believe he has some dirt racing background as well.

Any pictures of the old cars?

nice bunch of cars there. What exactly is “open road racing”?

I know Darrel, he is just about a legend in the Pro Stock ranks. Not sure if he remembers me. I only raced 3 years in a different class. Unfortunately, no surviving pics of the Cuda that I know of. It was a long time ago.
Open Road Racing is a Time/Speed/ Distance event. You enter a speed class (depending on safety equipment and guts) and try to average the closest to whatever speed class you are in. They close the road down and off you go. Unfortunately they only have these in Texas, Nebraska and Nevada. I’ve been to Texas once and Nebraska 6 times. Nevada is just too far. There are usually other events that go along with it as well. The One mile challenge in Nebraska for instance. It is basically a several day long party with some competition events thrown in. You can check out www.sorcrace.com for the Nebraska one. Big Bend Open road race for Texas, and Silver State Classic Challenge in Nevada…Great Fun!

Welcome, I have been a course worker at the silver state classic in Nevada once but have never entered my car.

bet u wish u had that cuda factory 340 cars are hard to come by was it a 4 speed?

Cuda was a Slap Stik automatic. Nice car, blue with a white vinyl top, the “Cuda” blacked out rear deck panel, hood scoops etc. My first AM/FM car (a big deal in the '70’s), and NO power steering. Traded it in on my first “new” car…A 76 Pinto wagon! Did have a lot of fun in that wagon though!

A real man knows the benefits of the wagon and appreciates them.

But seriously, any pics?

Why did you twin charge the Cooper? Even the manufacturer experienced with a turbo and supercharger in different years but never together.

Welcome to the show Ralph!

That kit on Brittek looks good for the front end! Go for it.

I wish I could see how they built it! Thats a lot of stuff, stuffed into a little engine compartment!

The power band must have been awesome. All the TQ down low from the supercharger and then the snail takes over and feeds the top end.

Mike, the front rebuild kit is on its way

As for the turbo on the MINI…I was going down the money pit highway and had to go faster. The MINI was running a pretty safe tune, about 19-21lbs of boost. Put a larger pulley on the supercharger to slow it down (reducing parasitic drag) and having the turbo supply most of the boost. The car was pretty much insanely fast. We put different springs on her and an adjustable rear anti sway bar, adjustable lower control arms in the rear (adding negative camber). It handled like it was on rails. Took it to a few track days (Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and one of the road courses at Pocono) Plus the open road races. Absolutely my favorite car of all time and the one I wish I still had…

Sweet! I will add it to the long list of to-do’s.

I kinda want a mini for a daily now.

dang haha we are just blowing up with new people lately arent we
Welcome Man post some pictures

Some pics of the MINI

Welcome, don’t take any crap from the young pups.

Ever dyno the Mini? It have to have been in at least mid 200’s wheel, which would make it an absolute blast, especially considering how unassuming it looked.

You have quite a wide range of projects, British/German mini, hybrid of an MGB and some old muscle in a form of a Cuda. Impressive.

The MINI should have been about 270hp to the wheels, according to Helix in Philadelphia (the kit builder). It was a blast. I didn’t usually take it out in the winter but, one year my daily driver was down for a week. At around 6 degrees out, the thing was even more awesome!

The cars I have had are kind of representative over the years (a lot of years). I have really been with out a project since I sold the MINI in 08. The pics of it are actually from a dealership in Ct that had it in 2010. It’s only accumulated 1000 miles since I sold it. Last Fall it was on EBay. The guy couldn’t get his opening bid of $8500. Hell, I’d take it back for that amount any day!

Welcome…

Get a set of Gm 3100 heads and intake for that mg , u will thank me later …

/\ donate me some and I will thank you now :ninja