Another air compressor thread

I’m looking at compressors for my garage. Its going to run a 1/2" Impact, 3/8 air ratchet, and a 1/4 air ratchet. I won’t be doing any painting or anything like that. The ones I’m looking at are around the 30 gallon mark. Is that too small for what I’m going to be doing? Its not going to be used everyday just once in a while when I’m working on the cars. Also I need to to be able to run it on 120v. Some that I’m looking at say non-oil pumps. I hear non-oil are extremely loud which doesn’t sound very appealing to me but if it has its advantages over oiled pumps I’d consider it. Thanks guys

-Tom

30 gallon is SMALL and forget about the oil-less ones because they sound like a fucking 747 taking off.

I would SERIOUSLY consider running a 220 dryer line out to the garage. Its worth every penny. I rented a apt so I used a RV 220 extension chord, plugged it in the basement, and ran it out the basement window to the compressor in the garage.

Harbor freight has a awesome 60 gallon 12.6cfm for $400… had it for a while n loved it

Oiless pumps are good for painting since you get cleaner air. 30 gallon really isn’t big enough for a half inch impact for serious use. For the hobbyist it should be fine. What I mean is, you may get one ten lugs off and then have to wait a few minutes to build some air back up before doing ten more. A good half inch impact will eat 4-5 cfm @ 90 psi. A quick look at Lowes’ website shows 1.5 hp oiless at 4 cfm. They would do the job for your needs.

I use a much bigger compressor, but I need it to run my IR261 when I need to get violent with noncooperative fasteners.

Oiless compressors have a higher pitched BBBBRRRRRRRR where oil types are more of a thumping sort of sound.

i have a 33 with an oil-less system and it is loud. i like it. i didnt have a 220volt so i was kind of at a cross roads. i would have had to have one installed because i dont even have one in my house. my stove is gas and my house nothing runs off more then 120. i like my compressor tho it works well and gives me no problems. i got use to the compressor kicking on so it dont bother me

Well the reason I wanted to try and stick with 120v is because my house doesn’t have a 220 line. Houses in Nevada are mostly gas for the stove and the drier so I’d have to have an electician come in and custom install something for me. I’m going to give one of my contractors a call in the morning though and see if I can call in one of my favors that they owe me haha.

Layzie do you have the craftsman 33 gallon compressor? It sounds like one of the ones I was looking at.

Violator theres no harbor freight in Vegas so thats out for me. My main options out here are Sears, Lowes, and Home Depot.

I have the 33, its fucking loud as all hell, I’m sure my neighbor 10 houses down hears it. I don’t run it often though, so its no biggie. It ran all the tools i’ve hooked up to her just fine.

Order from the Harbor Freight catalog or website. They are in SoCal so the truck freight to Nevada would not be too bad.