air compressor / air tools

well ill be closing on the house at the end of april and i want to have a decent air compressor and tools for my garage. i dont need anything crazy expensive that would be used for a shop, but i want something that will last and possible be used for a tire machine in the future.

any suggestions or what to stay away from? should i just get a craftsman 30 gal, and ill be good for 10+ years?

My dad’s had the same 30gal Craftsman air compressor for has to be over 15 or so years now. I use the thing all the time and have never had any problems.

no, you want bigger than a 30gal

Mine is an 80gal and runs quite often… i’d get a min of a 60. Can be picked up pretty cheap. Mine is a Cambell Housefield or w/e and it came with the house, been there 5 years and never a problem. Good luck man and congrats on the purchase! Do you have a link to the house or pics?

thanks. for some reason they took the listing down (or i just cant find it). the house needs a bunch of work. but, it fit into mine and my gf’s budget while i finish up school.

Gimme some details man!!! lol you don’t got any pics?

We have a 60gallon from Tractor Supply that we use all the time, works great (http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/air-compressors-air-tools-accessories/air-compressors/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006)

If your going to get a compressor that will last get one with a cast iron compressor pump.

what he said! i got like the same shit but i think mines an 80.

If you don’t want to upgrade in the future and you will be using any sort of shop equipment you don’t want to get a 30 gal. However casual use it will be fine if you upgrade later.

I’d recommend an 80gal 2 stage, 240v, lubable model from a major brand, not sears.

Look or high CFM if you plan to do body work, 15+

I.R. is all you need to know… the 'Rand stuff is the best for the $.

I have a 33 gal Craftsman in my garage, and it’ll take care of next to anything you’d need… unless you are running your tools constantly.

i dont know what your budget looks like, but this is probably all you will EVER need in a compressor

1,173.99$ and free shipping
http://www.tooltopia.com/_img/BEL/BEL218V.jpg

208-230 Volt Single Phase
15.3 ACFM @ 100 psi
13.75 ACFM @ 175 psi
175 psi Max Pressure
80 Gallon ASME Vertical Tank
No Magnetic Starter Required
Cast Iron Cylinder
2 Year Warranty
39"L x 24"W x 73"H

LINK:

Single phase is no good if he’s planning to do bodywork.

At that cost you might as well get a two stage.

vlad, youre dumb.

from the title of the link.
5HP Two Stage Air Compressor 208-230V Single Phase 80 Gallon 15.3 CFM

SINGLE PHASE is in regard to the electrical cycle. which means it can be plugged into a standard 220V connection. no commercial/industrial grade electrical needed.

Self fail, didn’t click the link and just saw single.

Suggestion still stands, good link.

Edit: and yes I know I’m dumb, I’m constantly reminded of that by members ever since I elected you moderator :tongue

way to jump the gun buddy

what are u intending on usin this for ? if ya use it a lot get a big comp ya want volume over anything esp if runnin cut off wheels ,body tools and so on . if your usin impact guns and such on a slight basis go with a 30-50 gal tank .but the way i look at things is to overdo it. as its better to have it and not need it ,than it is to need it and not have it . basically get the best ya can afford ,we have a 90 gal i/r at the shop and it does whatever we need it to do and i/r shit is one of the best and cheaper .dont skimp out and get a oiless as they suck

If you look at craigslist a lot of times they will have good deals on used compressors. When I looked there was quite a few.

ok, i will NOT be doing any bodywork at all.
I will be using it for casual work in the garage - suspension, engine bolts, etc. just so i can be lazy and not have to use a ratchet anymore.

im looking to spend around $300-500.

i have been searching CL, but wanted to make sure i get a decent brand, and tank size. im guessing i should also try and get something that handles 175 psi?

all ya need is suttin with 120-130 constant pressure a 30-50 gal is fine