Any good books to read

Bruce Schneier - four most security expert (some of his stuff is repetitive, PM me for personal recommendations)

Brian Carrier - uber nerd

Kevin D. Mitnick - 2 really good books

Freakanomics - I hear this book is amazing

Brock Yates - The Fall and Decline of the American Automobile Industry

It is old, but still applies to today.

I gave myself a 4 day weekend between when I leave OGSI and when I start at Praxair. I think I’m going to spend part of that time reading Steven Covey’s The 8th Habit. I actually really enjoyed reading and benefitted from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, so I figure right before taking my career to the next level is a good time to read a book subtitled “From Effectiveness to Greatness.” :tup:

Books on cassette

:slight_smile: for Stephen Chbosky- The Perks of Being a Wallflower

also, Running With Scissors was a good book, and the movie (in theaters now) was good.

Harry Potter-i hated hp,my friend told me to read the first book and i got addicted and now i have read them all.Im 19 and i still think its a good read.

The Da Vinci Code-great book,very very good

bump

[quote=“BikerFry,post:16,topic:19528"”]

The Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons. Don’t bother reading more of Dan Brown’s stuff. I quickly found out that they were all the same story with a different setting.

[/quote]

Don’t bother reading the rest of his stuff? That’s crazy talk. I’d say Deception Point and Angels and Demons are tied for my favorites and Da Vinci Code in a distant 2nd. I’m currently readying Digital Fortress. Dan Brown is an amazing writer.

Edit- and don’t bother seeing The Da Vinci Code. Terrible movie. Tom Hanks just can’t pull off Robert Langdon. Angels and Demons is in production right now, it’s a shame he’s going to play Langdon’s role again. This is coming from someone who loves Tom Hanks too.

wow i really have to disagree with you guys here. dan brown is a shitty writer in my opinion. let me at least try and back up my opinion…

it’s written for 2nd graders… the sentence structure is awful, it’s a far cry from ‘good literature.’ that being said, angels and demons was somewhat interesting… i just couldn’t get past how poorly it’s written. let me attempt to recreate one of dan brown’s paragraphs:

“The man turned around and saw the biggest thesaurus ever. It was a really old book. There was dust covering it that must have been decades old. The man reached out and took the book off the shelf, letting the dust scatter in the air. A breeze from a random open window made the dust form a cloud around the man’s head. He coughed while opening up the thesaurus. Confused by what this book could offer him, he set it back down. This man was Dan Brown.” or something.

chuck palahniuk is an interesting writer, if not already mentioned

[quote=“sureshot!,post:28,topic:19528"”]

wow i really have to disagree with you guys here. dan brown is a shitty writer in my opinion. let me at least try and back up my opinion…

it’s written for 2nd graders… the sentence structure is awful, it’s a far cry from ‘good literature.’ that being said, angels and demons was somewhat interesting… i just couldn’t get past how poorly it’s written.

chuck palahniuk is an interesting writer, if not already mentioned

[/quote]

lol, You didn’t back up your opinion at all. You just said it was written for 2nd graders, and I strongly disagree with that. There were a couple points in each book that I thought was a little poorly written, but when I say “a couple”, I really mean only 1 or 2. Stuff like “It reminded her of…” sorta thing. Other than that, it’s written fantastically.

haha i realized that i didn’t quite back it up, so i edited and incorporated a similar paragraph in an attempt to replicate his style :slight_smile:

http://www.dunenovels.com/classic.html

the bible… a good ol classic that teaches you lessons in life. :tup:

If your an old gamer of blizzard, there are 3 starcraft/ warcraft and i think diablo books. there are 250 pages roughly. good reads tho

[quote=“sureshot!,post:30,topic:19528"”]

haha i realized that i didn’t quite back it up, so i edited and incorporated a similar paragraph in an attempt to replicate his style :slight_smile:

[/quote]

I see what you’re saying, but I think that’s why his books are so hard to put down. He paints a picture of what’s going on so well, but It’s far from being childish.

Devil in a brown city
Leaving the saints: how I lost my religion and found my faith