any tranny shops good with t56's?

we have the tranny out of my buddy’s 00 ss and he was having a grinding issue in 2nd and sometimes 4th, so he wants to have it gone over while it’s out. everyone right around our area only wants to mess with autos. anybody have anyone that they’d recommend for him? he wants to get it in asap.

http://www.t56rebuilds.com/

link no worky

they changed their name to www.sixspeedsinc.com
thats where i got mine last year.

from what i hear on the f-body forums t56rebuilds (i dont know when they changed to sixspeedinc?) was the place to go. It was either them or D&D. If he really wants it done fast, the t56 is really easy to work on. There are plenty of schematics over on www.camaroz28.com.

yeah, i’ve overhauled a few 5 speeds myself that have turned out great, but they were just beaters (or mustangs) and if it didn’t go as planned it would be no biggie. i’m not sure if he wants me popping my cherry on a 6 speed with his though.

I believe Hoss’ Gear shop in Mt Pleasant works on them. I can get you the number if needed.

I’m gonna be doing mine next week (LT1 T56 from a '95 Camaro). I am going to pull it apart, and get what it needs.

I have rebuilt T5’s before. The Tremec guys told me that a T56 isn’t much tougher to work on. You should go for it.

I have been thinking about getting a spare LT1 T56 and have also been thinking of changing 5th from 0.74 to 0.83 or so… Interesting thread, guys.

…I’ll probably just bug Pewter for a quality used one instead of going the rebuild route…

Nice info, guys.