Any1 good with maps?

I have this assignment due tomorrow and i can’t really start it until I get the basic answer down lol

K here’s the prob, I have an aerial photo of an area in NYS and I have to find the scale of the map. Now I know you have to do somthing like find a field or building that you know the dimension of (say a football field you can measure 100 yds and then convert)

but theres nothing on the map that I kno the dimensions of

any1 know how to help?

THANKSSSSS

Well, first learning words like “know” and “anyone” might help.

Second, posting the photo might help.

use the scale on the map…?

^you didn’t really read the post did you?

not to sound like a big meany head…but since when is this site called NYSpeed/High School HW help?

Actually UB HW HELP asswad

:slight_smile:

LOL i did and then i got sidetracked, knowing it was a photo trying to convert to a map scale :stuck_out_tongue: :picard: me

edit: uploading a picture of the picture would prob help

…Still don’t understand why you signed up on NYspeed to ask for help.

Yahoo! Answers ftw.

But…in lieu of not being a douche…

If you can find any familiar points of reference, or if you know the height from which the photo was taken, you can find a scale those ways, most commonly an aerial photo is taken between the heights of 1,000-5,000’, although for high altitude shots they can range from 6,000-12,000’ feet.

Is this a 2D photo (satellite) or a perspective shot from a plane?

can you provide a picture of said map?

how “big” is this map? does the map have a road on it? drive a section of the road and record how many miles it is then convert from there

what if it is in like japan lol

:wink:

honestly i suck at reading this post , i think im going to go and retire from posting for the rest of my life and do everyone a favor :tup:.

Okay maybe its not japan but what if its not driveable by tonight since its due tomorow lol

If there is a road present in the pic: Find out the space between the white broken (you can now pass) lines on the road, and the space between them. Google or something. Than add accordingly and scale the map. problem solved

well yea, but since the original poster sucks at details we don’t know haha IF its possible, thats how i’d do it

Let me guess your taking GEO 120?

sounds like it. and I’m a proud GED holder lol.

Def Geo 120… I cannot believe i just dug into my notes from undergrad to help you butttt

Method I: Object of know size on a map

This is generally easiest to do, if you can measure the distance of 1 mile on a map.  This will be your control.  Once you have settled on an object on the map, find this object on your aerial photo.  Since I am using 1 mile as my control, I will measure the object on the photo and record the results in inches.  However, if I was using 1 kilometer as my control, I would measure the distance in centimeters.  For the example, if the distance between two houses on my map was exactly one mile, I might use that as my point of reference.  Now, finding these two houses on my photo, I find that the distance between them is 6.2 inches on the photo.  Armed with that information, I just plug the numbers into the equation.
  Equation:
  (6.2 in/1 mile) * ((1/6.2)/(1/6.2)) * (1 mile/63,360 in) = 1/10,220 or 1:10,220 (results are rounded)

Method II: Comparing with another map with a known scale

The second method  will require you to use a little bit of algebra to calculate the distance of an object on a map with a known scale against the distance of an object on an aerial photograph of unknown scale. For example, lets say we are measuring the distance between two houses. On the aerial photography, the distance is 7.2 cm. Now on my map covering the same area at 1:24,000, the distance between the two houses is 2.4 cm. To find the scale of the photo, we create an algebraic expression to solve for the unknown variable.
  Equation:
  7.2 cm . (photo) * (x/1) = 2.4 cm. (map) * (24000/1)
  Therefore:
  7.2 * x cm. = 2.4 * 24000 cm.

Since the units are the same, we cancel them out, and get the final equation:
  x=(2.4 * 24000)/7.2
  x=8000 or 1:8000

Ya beet me to it. AJ your such a good cartographer.

When someone asks a question like this, you know they are:

• A complete fucking moron
  • Going to fail out of school
  • Probably ugly
  • WHAT THE FUCK I COULD HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT IN FUCKING 9TH GRADE EARTH SCIENCE
  • u suk