anybody with vag-com

so my check engine light came on on my way back from langan, anybody want to scan my car tomoro and see whats up? thanks

go to advanaced auto, you can scan it yourself fo freeeeee

what TDI said, or hitup vortex in the VAGCOM section, always a local willing to help out.

ummm i have a ob2 scanner

Yea, go to Advance. Just not mine. :slight_smile:

well, cossey has the VAG part of the combo, so he’s only 50% helpful

:crackup seriosly tho i actually need vagcom because my car is running in limp mode now…ghey

way off topic: i see cossey is back in action, nice seein ya last night…

Without even looking at the car, if it is a 1.8T equipped VW I’d bet its a coilpack, which any basic OBDII code scanner will alert you to. P0301=cylinder 1 misfire, P0302=cylinder 2 misfire, etc… For most basic diagnostic work you don’t need a VAG-COM, its only when you need to adjust auto leveling headlights, or some other complicated function that a VAG-COM comes in handy. I have a friend who swears by it, but I’ve never seen him diagnose any simple problem correctly. The fact its in limp mode is a good sign, not many things will cause it to do that, and most are fairly easy to fix. Get the car to any code scanner and see what it says, it doesn’t need to be a VAG-COM

Mark i’m thinking either swing by my dad’s shop later today if it’s not too bad out, or i can bring his Snap-On scanner to school and see what kind of codes it’s throwing. As far as fixing the limp mode…i’d say have my dad look at it, i’m sure it’s a quick fix and he wouldn’t mind. Snows coming though so he’ll probably be tight today because he’s going to be getting the trucks and shit ready.

My friend Nick has a VAG-COM I would have to give him a call

mark needs a new coilpack harness as his is wooped… the wires are cracking and exposed… he has a boost leak, and hes running on 5 psi hence limp mode…

vag-com isn’t only for autoleveling headligts shit… you can do data logs, check differnt parameters, throttle body adaptions, you can program your windows to roll down from the key later audi’s and mk5+ vw’s…

www.ross-tech.com for vag-com needs

I’ve owned a few VW’s and I never once had to use a VAG-COM diagnosing mine. I have just a generic OBD II scanner that I picked up from like Pep Boys or something. As long as you can pull a code off with it, between that and VW Vortex you should be able to determine the issue your having. Good luck!

hes right i ordered a new coil pack harness, and i just ordered 4 new coils even though ones new, if you buy all 4 of them it comes with a bunch of extra shit that i want so i guess im gonna have one extra one layin around but thats not so bad, and im puttin some new spark plugs in just for the hell of it, so basically all my ignigion shit is gettin replaced, along with my breaks and pads but i dont think i can afford those until next week. Will my car automagicly come out of limp mode when i replace everything or will i still just have to scan it

put the new harness in, coilpacks, and plugs in and put a clamp on that one hose that was loose that was on the charge pipe, then go for a rip and you should be back to stock boost. you might aswell go get the car scanned right now and come back with the exact codes… then i’ll take a look at what the codes mean.

that i should but honestly i hate driving in the snow, im always afraid some dumbass is gonna hit me, i only saw 3 cars off the road on the way back from school and its not bad at all outside right now, but if they plow it tonight i may stop by advance or give joey a call for the scanner