Anyone run their own business?

[quote=“slow84ta,post:20,topic:36906"”]

:word:
it seems like a good company, but it’s still a job, hes looking to get out of working for someone else

nothing bets getting up in the morning and actully doing what you wanna do :gotme:

[/quote]

Pretty much. 9 Billion in sales? Would be nice if I was the guy at the top, but slow84ta seems to be at the same mindset. There’s NO reason I can’t be the guy paying someone’s wages, not working for someone to pay mine. As I mentioned, I’m going to go in this slowly, not going to quit my job, but there’s little doubt I can be making more than I do working for anyone else. A few of you mentioned being a resource (Dave, slow84) it won’t be soon, but I’ll keep you guys in mind when it’s time to address those areas. Less talking, more doing, thanks :slight_smile:

my dad had a partnership of a machine shop on duke road by the galleria. the only reason he stayed in bussiness was finding really good niche’s. as soon as he lost a contract or two the whole place tanked.

I have been a consultant for 11 years now. The business survived the first year because I did not have any over head. You plan will have overhead and be limiting to the work you can take because of it. (Bigger jobs/bigger overhead in tooling)

If I where you I would start building the business while you have a steady job. I also believe that to succeed here your service needs to be better than the others and you need to find niche jobs that pay well and no one else can do. If you get a big job that will take most of your time to complete, take vacation time from the day job.

[quote=“dtvburns,post:23,topic:36906"”]

I have been a consultant for 11 years now. The business survived the first year because I did not have any over head. You plan will have overhead and be limiting to the work you can take because of it. (Bigger jobs/bigger overhead in tooling)

If I where you I would start building the business while you have a steady job. I also believe that to succeed here your service needs to be better than the others and you need to find niche jobs that pay well and no one else can do. If you get a big job that will take most of your time to complete, take vacation time from the day job.

[/quote]

:word:

You don’t want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything, as a career … You don’t want to sell anything bought or processed or … buy anything sold or processed or… process anything sold … bought … or processed … or repair anything sold, bought or … processed, you know, as a career … You don’t want to do that.

consultancy is where it’s at. Sell your service. Only. Very low over head.

[quote=“AWDrifter,post:25,topic:36906"”]

You don’t want to sell anything, buy anything or process anything, as a career … You don’t want to sell anything bought or processed or … buy anything sold or processed or… process anything sold … bought … or processed … or repair anything sold, bought or … processed, you know, as a career … You don’t want to do that.

[/quote]

dude. go drink some more coffee.

[quote=“Carnut,post:26,topic:36906"”]

consultancy is where it’s at. Sell your service. Only. Very low over head.

[/quote]

I own nearly everything I need to start now. I’ve had a shop for some time in about a 3k sq ft space; lathe/mill, welders, CNC, every cutting tool and composite you can think of. Anything I do now will be based on the tools I have.

Oddly enough, I finally got a call from another company I applied to some weeks ago to have an interview this Thursday. If hired, will probably bring me another 5-10k year, so I’ll take it use the extra $ to put towards the growth of this.