Area 51...

Anyone plan on going?

real descriptive.

for pratice? Think they will let me run slicks?

Ha, sorry. Its practice for members only. Ill be on my yz400f. I have class until 12:20 at GCC so ill be there at 12:30.

slicks + dirt =?

members only? I have to join AMA to practice?
I’ll be at the supermoto track then. no membership fees. I’ll have dirt and asphalt

You have to have the Area 51 membership to go on non race days. The super moto track is different/separate from what I understand.

my tow vehicle won’t be ready until next week, so maybe monday I’ll go, and definitely planning on later thurs/fri next week.

Practicing on any day other than Wednesday is a waste of $, unless they changed their ways this year, they don’t prep the track at all…

Well for the next 4 weeks I can take a tues/thurs off of work and only use 4 hours of vaca, so its worth it for now.

Plus I have never ridden a real track anyways so I wont know what I am missing. lol.

And there isnt really any money wasted, I live 15 mins from there and my membership is already paid for.

ah gotcha.

You should ride there wednesdays. They disc the entire track and water it…

the corners are like a 1’ deep loam. And it gets very rough towards the end.
once you ride on a prepped track, you will hate riding hardpack ever again.

yes SM track is different.
you only live 10 mins from me

Are you in batavia? I saw a black super motard parked at a tire changing place (maybe sloats?) yesterday…

if you can get fast there when the track is not prepped, you’ll be that much faster when it is (race days)… as far as member days, it is usually the best on Thurs, since they prep it for practice on Wed.

oh and how much is it at the supermoto track per day? I might look into getting another set of wheels and put some slicks on… looks like fun

Edit: nevermind - read the supermoto thread.

no, my bike is orange, im in akron

no you won’t.

Riding a hard packed dry track is boring and will not make you faster for race conditions.

Going this Fri or Sat or possibly both. Did you make it out there yet travisn?

sedlmeier - you must be on another level or something because I’ve never found motocross riding even the least bit boring, no matter the conditions. So you think what you want and I’ll keep riding the hard packed dry track… :roll:

Yea I did make it out, going again the 30th…

Boy did I get my ass handed to me, well it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. I only lost it a few times on the outside of a turn in the really soft stuff when the front wheel would just stop, lol. I only got a little hurt, I came up short on the double out back and tore the top of my thumb on something, I think the brake lever or something. Its the fast double after you go down the back straight away then turn a sharp right then a wide left and the jump is right after that. I think I can clear that one, but I dont think I would be able to turn fast enough for the next corner.

That place really put things into perspective, lol. I cant turn and turn/slow down for the life of me. I have to slow down a lot. Especially for the rutted ones, I cant seem to follow the line.

I did end up clearing the first bigger double near the tower, someone told me to just loft it mid third and it worked. I couldn’t get the balls for the second one after that, the roller after the landing doesn’t sit well with me.

I couldn’t even begin to clear other set of big tower jump and the triple right before that. Does anyone ever “double” the big set of jumps going toward the road? I’m talking about using the big hill as a landing since there isn’t really any gap. that would be something to see

The last step up before the whoops has me worried, again, I dont think I would be able to turn/stop fast enough.

And idk what is up, but I cant clear the table top by the quad track and I cant clear the last doubles on the back straight away, I just cant go fast enough.

I think once I get a few more days under my belt and focus on figuring out how to turn and stay in the berm Ill do quite well…

But this weekend I need to regrease my swingarm and linkage. I just put new bearings in in february, and its already squeaking. Hopefully I can get it done in a few hours since I dont have to press and bearings in or out.

Taking the gf with me on the 30th to take pictures. Hopefully I’ll look as cool as I feel. haha

If you are interested in becoming decent at motocross, take one of the pro race schools they have.
Corey kanderfer teaches it, I took one about 7 years ago and learned a shit ton.
I bet you are doing a lot of things wrong (mostly body position) and once you learn the right way you will get faster daily, plus be a lot more safe!

Yea I think I will look into it. That was my first time at a real track. Ive been to majestic a few times and to a couple random back yard tracks and tons of woods trails, I think I learned a lot that first day.