ATT: 80's kids

And by 80’s kid, i mean born in the late 1970’s. Some things i can’t relate to, growing up in the Middle East. :o
And there’s a tonne of stuff i’m forgetting. Feel free to add to the list.

80’s > *

Doing the Moonwalk
Reading Archie, MAD comics
You Believed that ‘‘By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power’’
Partying ‘‘like it’s 1999’’ seemed SO far away!!!
You ever had a Swatch Watch.

• You never questioned why the A-Team were always imprisoned in places that had sufficient tools to build an armoured tank.
    • Dungeons & Dragons was your favourite cartoon.
    • Your lunch times were spent perfecting swan dives and backspins.
    • You fell out with friends during heated arguments about the relative merits of Matt & Luke.
    • You owned, or wanted a “Frankie says…” T-shirt.
    • You have ever danced (or even worse cried) to Kylie & Jason.
    • Cerise pink, electric blue and banana yellow have ever featured in your wardrobe or make-up collection.
    • You ever did the top toggle of your coat up around your neck without having your arms in the sleeves, and knew you looked like a super-hero.
    • You remember when the A-Ha video was the pinnacle of modern technology, and you can still sing all the words.
    • Parachuting Action man was your favourite toy.
    • Your best party dress was either a ra-ra or puff-ball skirt.
    • You ever owned a thin, black leather tie (and were proud of it), or worse it was patterned like a piano.
    • You wondered why a popular kids TV programme told you to “Turn off your TV set and go and do some less boring instead”.
    • You cried at Zammo’s funeral.
    • You wanted to be either Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.
    • You ever said “It’s my ball, and if I can’t be Kevin Keegan I’m going home!”
    • You remember the aerobie scare.
    • You have ever po-goed or space-hopped.
    • You remember when Keith Chegwin & Maggie Philbin were the hottest romantic couple.
    • You wondered why your walkie-talkie didn’t have the same range as those in the Red Hand Gang.
    • You were shocked by the controversial plot lines in Degrassi Junior High.
    • You tried to set up a “Famous Five” or “Secret Seven” gang with your school friends.
    • You tried to convince your Dad to fit a strip of red lights on the front of his Capri so it looked like KITT.
    • “Ca-vey Wa-vey!” means anything to you.
    • You ever had more than 10 sweets in a 10p mix-up.
    • Not only did you wear luminous clothing, but they were mismatched fingerless gloves and towelling socks.
    • You remember when Betamax was at the cutting edge of technology.
    • Conveyor belts regularly carried washing machines, deep-fat fryers and a cuddly toy.
    • You could have got away with it if it hadn’t been for those meddling kids.
    • (Girls) You owned a pair of Pixie Boots, generally worn with leg warmers.
    • (Boys) You owned a pair of pale grey slip-ons, generally worn with white towelling socks.
    • Shiny grey flecked suits.
    • You rolled the sleeves of your suit jacket up

You watched HR Puffenstuff as a child, but now that you’re older, you really understand that it would have been much better had you known about drugs at the time.

You’ve recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases:

* "When I was younger"
* "When I was your age"
* "You know, back when..."
* "Because I SAID so, that's why"
* "What the HECK is this noise on the radio?"
* "Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"

You can’t remember a time when “going out for coffee” DIDN’T involve 49,000 selections to choose from.

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language.

You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video.

At one point during your teenage years, you walked with a noticeable tilt to one side due to the number of plastic rings on that arm.

“Celebration” by Kool & the Gang was one of the hot new songs when you first heard it at a school dance.

The first time you ever kissed someone at a dance fell during “Crazy for You” by Madonna.

There were at least three people in your school that voluntarily went by the names of “Skip” “Buffy” “Muffy” or “Dexter.”

You ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons.

You used to hold in your head the thought that all those gold chains on Mr. T actually looked kinda cool and the thought that Mr. T made millions seemed rational to you at the time.

You remember with pain the sad day when the Green Machine hit the streets and made your old big wheel quite obsolete.

You’ve gotten this far on the list and aren’t totally confused.

The phrase “Where’s the beef?” still doubles you over with laughter.

You read the “Hot Video Games Player’s Secrets” guide for Mortal Kombat just so you could find the hidden screen, and play Pong again for old time’s sake

You’re starting to believe that maybe 30 isn’t so old after all, and it’s those people over 40 you have to look out for.

Your hair, at some point in time in the 80’s, became something which can only be described by the phrase “I was experimenting.”

You’ve ever shopped at a Banana Republic or Benetton, but not in the last five years, okay?

You’re starting to get that “why aren’t you married yet” spiel, not just from parents, but now from friends that are married.

You ever wanted to be gagged with a spoon.

When someone mentions two consecutive days of the week, the Happy Days theme is stuck in your head for hours on end.

You remember “Hey, let’s be careful out there.”

You’re parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes, anyway.

You had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi, or knew someone who did.

You thought eating Reese’s Pieces would attract your own Alien.

Your name is Jennifer or Jason.

You have ever called 867-5309.

You had a poster of Rob Lowe, Kirk Cameron, or Michael J. Fox on your wall.

You held the top score on Pac-Man.

You owned a t-shirt that said, “I shot J.R.” or know someone who did.

This rings a bell: “and my name, is Charlie. They work for me.”

You HAD to have your MTV

You know what a “burnout” is.

You owned a Jordache anything, or you remember when Jordache jeans were cool.

You remember when Madonna was just hitting the scene.

You remember the original version of Windows: Macintosh.

You thought “Weird Science” was a masterpiece.

You remember any or all of the following: Echo & the Bunnymen, Cutting Crew, Scritti Politti, or Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark.

Chevy Chase was really funny in those vacation movies.

You actually know who Rick Springfield is

You remember when film critics raved that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.

You jammed to the Miami Vice theme and thought Jan Hammer was cool.

Guys: You remember when a guy piercing his ear was radical to the max, but did it anyhow.

Bahh ha ha I didn’t grow up in the 80’s but I can sadly relate to more than half the things on that list…

I need to edit it. Too many people think early 90’s is 80s.

We immigrated to Canada in the mid 80’s, but I remember much of the 80’s so I can relate to many of those things on that list. But even back home in Greece we still had many of the 80’s shows on TV I remember I used to watch Knight rider, dukes of hazard, chips, happy days, G I joe, trans formers, smurfs, Flintstones and astro boy back in Greece. Sometimes it was translated by voice and other times it was in english and I had to read the sub titles at the buttom of the screan.

The 80’s were good, I liked the 80’s. :smiley:

I came here in 1990, but i recognized all those things from back home.

Does anyone else remeber heathcliff? He was my favourite.

I had the comic books, and watched the cartoons.
Heathcliff > Garfield.

http://www.creators.com/0417/hth/hth0419g.gif

Heathcliff is great, apprently George Gately is still making these single frame ones :open_mouth:

^^yeah that show was awesome, I liked it much better then Garfield

Mmmm 80’s/early 90’s were pretty cool… the clothing was super bogus tho