Audi announces the 44mpg TT 2.0 TDI quattro

Just found this:

After Audi unveiled the almighty R8 V12 TDI at the Detroit Auto Show, I asked the obvious question and they made it clear that they had no plans to build a production version. Now that the disappointment has subsided somewhat, Audi is offering up a consolation prize, although it’s not known yet if the US market will get a crack at it. For the first time since the original TT debuted ten years ago, Audi will be offering a version with a diesel engine. A 170 hp, 258 lb-ft 2.0L TDI will be available in both the TT Coupe and Roadster. Putting the torque down through all four wheels by way of a six-speed manual gearbox, the coupe will run 0-62 mph in 7.5 sec, with the ragtop accomplishing the feat in 7.7sec. While by no means blistering speeds, the nature of diesel engine torque will mean that the TTs will feel quick everywhere. The real upside to all of this is the fuel economy of this claimed world’s first diesel sports car. The lighter, more aerodynamic coupe will be capable of 44.3 mpg (US) while the convertible is just behind again at 42.7. Pretty impressive when gas prices as likely to go ever higher. The Audi press release is after the jump.

SICK

gimme that in an a4 and i got myself a badass dd

Glad to hear they are using a six speed manual, that was always a turn off for me for those cars.

The only model that was avaliable with the 6spd was in low $40’s range IIRC.

Price on this model?

Audi is going to bring in diesel A4s in the US soon, so you can look into that.

i almost bought a TT, then decided on an R32, then decided why have a big car payment? buy a house instead, then my car blows up…what luck haha

anyhow back on topic, love the new TT hands down. Ive seen 2 around (not tdi of coarse)

I don’t think many people are going to be into paying over $40k for a “sports car” that has 0-60 times in the mid 7 second range, fuel economy is not a huge factor for people who buy performance vehicles. It would have been a wiser move to put this engine combo in an A3, my .02

i’m hoping for diesel A3’s myself. We’ll see how the A4’s fare in a year or so. Europe has SO many more diesel cars than us. I cant wait to go to germany to visit family, check out Frankfurt, Berlin, drive to Nurburgring and the like

I am a diesel fan myself, and am looking forward to some diesel technology trickling into this country.

the TDI is an awesome motor. Theyve had great success with their TDI Tuaregs at Dakar. Just swept 1st across the board. IDK how many know what the Dakar rally is. Either way, the TDI motor is as Borat Great success in Europe! Sexy time!

whats the retail on one of those bad boys?

i’d be betting on mid 40s well equipped

I agree. But I also love diesels and anytime a vehicle is offered in the US with a diesel engine, I don’t complain. An A3 or A4 with diesel would rock. One car at a time :slight_smile:

most audis and dubs in europe run diesel. one of my coworkers got back a few months ago and says that a LOT of cars there are diesels, it just stinks everywhere cuz of that