Auto Financing 101 - and Loans in General

Over the last couple of years here i’ve fielded a few questions such as this, and read many a thread asking about this. I’ve been told i should make it a general knowledge thread… but I dunno the correct forum for it, so mods can move as fit.

These are general statements and every persons financial & credit situation is different… what i offer is a year of experience in consumer credit underwriting, as well as a few years on the sales side of that.
In other words, this is a guide and will not answer every question… but I expect this info will enlighten a few. Especially considering that NYSpeed members are growing older and able to consider larger, or more involved financing (autos, boats, and even mortgages or home equities).

Because I don’t know how much you know about lending, I’ll throw out a quick crash course. No offense intended. Alot of this is copy & paste from PMs, so it may be choppy. Deal with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Underwriting is primarily about three things:

Credit file: on our reports - what kind of debts & then how much; pmt history; and propensity to over extend.

Debt to income (DTI): Your debts & expenses. The minimum pmts (either stated by you, or showing on the CBRs) & your monthly expenses are totaled up and considered your debts. Your income (generally your gross income) is generally stated income for auto loans, but may require W2s, paystubs, or even tax returns when dealing in large amounts.
Your debts divided by your income gives a percentage. All lenders vary, but expect to need to be less then 60% at most. Example: $2000/mo income & $1200/mo debts this includes the proposed loan pmt

Loan to Value (LTV): This determines how much total money the bank can pay out for your loan. Remember that just because the car sells for $28, doesn’t mean the check will be written for $28.
If its a simple private sale, expect the note to be for the sale price plus taxes - and you pay the title, reg, & plate fees out of pocket.
LTV is the total note amount divided by the car value. So if you buy the car for $28, the total is now 30450 ($28000 x 1.0875). If the car value is $30k, LTV is now 102%

As a whole, these three factors have to balance for the underwriter to approve it.

Basically & very generally for all consumer loans:
If you credit file is great, the DTI & LTV can be a little higher
If the LTV is great (low), the credit can be a lil weaker & the DTI a lil higher
If the DTI is great (low), the LTV can be a lil higher and the credit a little weaker
In that order.

Finally, as far as auto loans:
The general LTV cap will be ~115%
The DTI generally needs to be below 55%
Based on those two, the Scores will need to be at least 650.
Now, if any one or two of those factors is well above par, they can “make up” for the others.
…and of course other things may factor in to the underwriting depending upon the lender or items in the CBR.

Lets assume that:
**You have an average credit file & an average score of ~720.
**You have $1000/mo in bills, and the proposed loan pmt is $674/mo (28k + taxes for 48mos @ 3%) making your debts $1700/mo. Your income is $2800/m0
**The book value of the car is $30k
**The car meets lender criteris for age & mileage limits (less then ~8yrs old, and under ~80k miles – based on age in this example)

$28k x 1.0875 = 30450 / 30000 = 102% LTV
DTI is now 61% (utoh) (pmt $674)
FICO 720
Prolly approved, but iffy, and no flex on terms

If you put down $6k cash:
$28k x 1.0875 = 30450 - 6000 = 24450 = 82% LTV
DTI is now 54% (pmt $541)
Fico 720
Almost guaranteed approval, prolly room to negotiate rate

If you put down $10k cash (you sold ur car for $4k):
$28k x 1.0875 = 30450 - 10k = 20450 = 68% LTV
DTI is now 51% (pmt $453)
Fico 720
Homerun. Name your terms.

For common questions:
I know a bigger DP helps in all areas, but if you are going to be buying from a private seller, how does the lender even know what the price of the car is?
Do you think they just take the KBB or expected MSRP of the vehicle, less your alleged DP and then come up with the loan amt?
For example, if I wanted to buy an STi, it’d cost me around 28k. I think the KBB is 30. Lets say I dropped 6k and told them i wanted a loan for 25k. Would they call bullshit and refuse to offer it?

A lender will generally take the stated price that you say the sale is for. They get the value from NADA (usually) or KBB. I have on occasion seen people need to fax in a statement of sale (signed by seller) confirming price & condition - but rarely.

You gotta remember that (outside of the patriot act compliance) all the lender is doing is lending you money & using the title lien as collateral. So long as the value supports the lien amount (LTV), they don’t care.
If you were applying for a $5k loan on a $195k exotic, then you may have a few questions. But only a few.

Furthermore, I intended on trying a credit union for the loan, but what about all these online things? Regrettably my highest score is Transunion, and it seemed like the others are more highly used.

Good luck trying to find our what CBR the lender will use. Most place “reserve the right” to use any of the three… for a lot of reasons.

I’ve found (personally) that if you have a 650 or better (average amongst the three) you can get loans online. I’ve personally done it 3x now, and guided two others through it also.

Always try YOUR bank of fcu, but I recommend a specific approach:
Go online (lending tree is fine) and get two or three applications. Once you get approvals, negotiate them against one another - not just rate, but terms also. Once you have one that you like the best… take that into your bank/fcu, and ask them to match/beat it.
This works great when buying from dealers, cause the dealers will go to bat to get you a better rate. Worked for me twice, as well as for two friends, though one stuck with his initial CapOne offer, as it was more friendly to private party sales.

** remember to get all of your applications in within a 10-14 day period (two weeks), so that they maybe clustered as one “rate shopping event” or inquiry **

Additionally, someone from CB.com claimed that your lender would take your scores and try and find the best bank that would work with your best score… does this sound right?

No, actually, hell no. That is what DEALERS have “finance officers” for. They will send your app to however many lenders they have to to get you the best terms (or to get an approval at all if your credit is weak).

A first party lender will not. LoL. That just horrible business sense. In 6 years @ M&T I’ve NEVER seen that, and would never EXPECT to. Its silly, quite frankly. But M&T was very conservative, so I’ll say that “anythings possible”. LoL

In regards to the DTI, what bills are calculated to come up with this value? for example, i have 0 revolving debt, however have 10k in school loans.

DTI pmts are based on the CBR and what you state on the application.

Generally online apps will ask Rent amt only. Utils are a estimation from there (we used an average figure based on the locale). Anything else you wish to state is up to you.
Debt account terms are generally taken from CBR items, they will take the min stated on the CBR. If that is an obv wrong nmbr (as often happens), the lender may ask you what the pmt amts are.

In your example, they’ll prolly take the edu loan pmt listed on the CBR, unless it says $1500/mo or something wacky.

Remember, the bank wants to make loans… so unless you’re applying for an insured mtg, you will generally NOT be asked for every monthly pmt. :wink:

Conversly, this is part of the reason people are in so much debt trouble… but thats another discussion.

If you were to try and determine my bills just based off my credit report, it’d only show: ~$100/mo school loan. It doesn’t include any types of services or utilities. I suspect that’s why you are often asked what your rent is. Honestly, I pay $275/mo in rent before utilities… about $500 after. Then including cell and insurance, maybe $700.

Correct. You state rent amt, utils (housing bills, auto ins, etc) are estimated or stated from there.

With just rent, school loans and the purposed auto loan ( $500 ), my DTI would be about: 29%
Inlcuding the maximum bills paid ( cell / insurance ): 40%
If i put 5k down, the LTV would be around: 85% on a car valued at 30k that I would be paying approximately 28k for.
This is all good so far right? Well regrettably my credit score is going to average out to be around 650, with a fair credit file. What do you think?

Based on what You’re saying:
DTI 40%
LTV 85%
$5k cash commitment
650 FICO
…I’d say you have a pretty good app. Fico is a lil low, so try to juice it if you can. If the score were closer to 680+, it’d be a lock.

The only remaining questions would be:

1.)Length of time in current job - this relates to how secure you are.
Example: being w/same company for 3 yrs (lie if you need to) looks alot better then being with 3 companys in 3 yrs.
Of course, if you recently changed jobs they look at the last job. If you were in the same field, and at the last job for 2+ yrs, you’re still okay.

2.)Age & mileage of car. Again, this is very lender dependent.
In the past i’ve gotten approvals from CapOne and off the top of my head they limit used cars to something like:
2005, upto 30k mile
2004, upto 42k miles
2003, upto 60k miles
2002, upto 80k miles
etc… You get the idea

In Closing, a couple of points: I personally recommend that You figure Your DTI with ALL of your bills, but this is solely so that you know you can afford the pmt.

The lender will generally not ask for all of your monthly bills… this lowers your DTI, and makes it easier to lend (making more money for the lender).

Of course, if your application is weak overall, they may comeback and ask for a full financial statement so that they can be sure they are safe in writing the loan.

With any bank loan (again, unsure for FCUs, they are less regulated), the underwriter is responsible for loans that go bad or delinquent. They just have to have reasonable confidence that You CAN pay it.

This brings up my favorite phrase: Just because you can get approved for the loan, does not mean that you can afford it.

Oh, and as far as cash vs financing… If you have to ask, then finance it. As long as you get a somewhat competitve rate. Lets say you finance 24450 @ 7% for 60 months, pmt will be $484/mo.
If you are saving $1200/mo now, start sending $700/mo to the car note, and keep saving that other $500.

For example:
If you have $6k cash now, and deposit $1200/mo in an add-on CD @ 4.00% for 24 months, you’d have 36,500 (made ~$1700 in interest).

If blew that all at once on the car, it would take you 2 yrs 5 months ($1200/mo) to make that interest back. Even though it’s only $1700.

Now you spent 2yrs saving to buy, and 2.5 yrs replacing your savings, 4.5 yrs total (to the tune of $36.5k).

Whereas, if you drop the $6k now, paid $700/mo to the car (paying it off in ~3.5 yrs), and put $500 into an account @ 4% as long as you had the car loan (3.5 yrs), you’d end up with the car PIF, a well established loan on your pmt history, and have 22,500 in the bank ($1500 int earned).

If, when you pay off the car, started back to $1200/mo into that svgs… by the 4.5 yr mark You’d have roughly $38k in the bank.

Now… if you were to invest that money… :smiley:

Just wanted to clarify something... if you took the route of financing, paying $700 & saving $500, the interest that you pay on the loan will detract from the interest & amount saved over 4.5 years.

I would still recommend this approach based on what you've told me about your situation, solely to establish the loan & pmt history on the credit report. Well, that and it'd satisfy the instant gratification.

The only other time that I'd 100% recommend it is if your financing interest rate were LESS then your savings / investment earings % rate.

Otherwise, cash is generally king.

...Lastly, no, I don't work for a bank any longer and I cannot get / give / cosign a loan for you.

IB4MikeRi24

I’d like to briefly add that there is an underwriter on creditboards who will review an application of yours, without pulling your scores, and will give you a very accurate estimate of whether or not you will be approved for your loan.

His application is here:
http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197666

Complete it thoroughly, and post a new thread in the auto finance section of the forums. He should reply within the day.

Unfortunately, he will not even attempt to quote an APR.

this isn’t credit boards it is nyspeed fags.

i kid,

or do i?

the carriage returns will never stop

or will they?

good info, stay tuned…

Thats what I thought too… but you see all the threads NYSpeeders make.

WTF carriage returns?

HA

haha! :retard:

Additionally, I’d like to see what TORQSS has to say about these statements…

+1 for sticky

+1 for a finance sub-forum.

I’d like to hear from TORQ, JoesTypeAMG, maybe even JayS as well. As they can offer the other side of the transaction possibly.

:tspry:

:tup: Good post.

And sorry, can’t really offer up the credit union side of it. I just write the software that gives them the formula to figure out how much the loan will cost you, and the ability to click a button and see your credit scores. Ultimately it comes down to the person at the keyboard approving or denying your loan.

I will add this. If things are going poorly in your loan search, try a small credit union. I’ve seen some loans posted that just make me shake my head wondering how in the hell these people ever got approved. I was actually on site once and heard a teller say, “Yeah, he’s always late on his payment but he’ll be in later in the week and we’ll just manually adjust the payment so he won’t have a late fee”. :picard:

I’ll read it when I get bored, but it looks annoying as fuck in all itallics

I don’t think this site has enough memory for all of the info… but i will try… give me a minute

Oh, and as far as cash vs financing… If you have to ask, then finance it. As long as you get a somewhat competitve rate.

If the interest rate on the loan is higher than the interest you could make elsewhere, you will lose money by financing, no?

Otherwise, cash is generally king.

There we go.

location? :slight_smile:

Do your worst! or best.

And just a note on

You gotta remember that (outside of the patriot act compliance) all the lender is doing is lending you money & using the title lien as collateral. So long as the value supports the lien amount (LTV), they don’t care.
If you were applying for a $5k loan on a $195k exotic, then you may have a few questions. But only a few.

The other part of this that is important is that in order to get them to rlease the funds (and cut a check to whomever), you must provide an insurance binder. You will be unable to insure a car that is defunct. So thinking you can get a $28k KBB loan on a toasted STi that has been scrapped won’t exactly work :wink: The fraud charges you’ll face won’t be fun.

Not always, like in the example posted, you have to look at the NPV of the money. Meaning, what is your money worth now, versus later. Time to recoop, etc.

Paying cash for a car is rarely the best option once you have moved past purchasing used junkers for $5k. This also assumes you have a moderate ammount of self restraint etc… But you can’t ever say “always”. Most people here should pay cash based on the evidence that they will try and blow it on hookers and blow first chance they get. And besides? Who has a new car and doesn’t mod the shit out of it right away while carrying a big loan? :deadhorse:

Anywhere in there did he mention that if you’re having trouble getting approved for the loan then you should take a long hard look at whether or not you can actually afford it?

I mean, I know real finances can get awfully detailed but this is a car forum. Cars are plain old wastes of money. All that’s needed financially is a little common sense. If you’re getting turned down for a loan because you’ve changed jobs and apartment 3 times in the last 4 years and have credit card debt then maybe you shouldn’t be financinga 335i…

Hmm, good point…

Most lenders will give you a crap ton more money than you can “afford” in a common sense perspective. The more they loan, the more they make, and it is a risk based decision on their part about your ability to pay it off. If you are having a hard time getting financed for the purchase you want, you probably can’t afford it (again, never say always…)

I guess I just cringe at a post on a car forum all about how to get approved for a loan and why you should finance instead of paying cash.

I see what you’re saying from a true financial planning perspective, I just worry that people on here will misinterperet this as license to go finance that M3 on a salary that gets quoted in “per hour.”

Those people will make that decision regardless of actual information posted. This will probably be a good post to help us all learn a bit more about it though. I wouldn’t take this post as a recomendation to finance yourself to the hilt or try to buy as much car as you can get approved for.

It doesn’t mean it won’t happen. Besides, how are you supposed to be e-cool when you can’t internet bench race with the rest of the kids? Who cares if they have so called “careers” and you are slinging pizza dough.