Auto-x wheel tire combo ideas?

I have been running 16 x 7 rotas with toyo proxes on my 93 hatch and I am not getting the grip that I would like. Now i want to upgrade either just tires or wheels and tires. I also have a set of GSR fat 5’s that i was planning on cleaning up and putting on my dd but would have not problem throwing some tires on and running them but i think they might be a little more narrow than i would want. So another option is get a whole new set of wheels and tires. Any opinions are welcomed.

Wheel weight in this particular case isn’t going to make a difference, so any 15 x 7 or wider is good. You can safely run a 225 width on OEM wheels too, so don’t worry about that.

For tires you have two route to choose from:

1. R compound. Hands down the fastest, and most expensive, and will only last you 60 runs or so per set.

2. Stay in the Tire Index, and run street tires. So here is a list of the fastest out there now:

Bridgestone RE-11
Toyo R1R
Yokohama AD08
Dunlop Direzza StarSpec

That’s a good as you can get, hell even my RE-01’R’s were THE tires to have last season, and the new rubber is even better. 195/50, 205/50 are the standard Honda size…however you can stuff 225/45 in the front no problem. 275’s will fit with flaring. Shame too, I sold those red wheels with RE’s on them for dirt cheap to another fellow auto-x’er. He got quite a bit faster using them as well.

agreed 205-50-15 is the way to go in a hatch your fat 5’s will definatly do the job for a tire of that size

Well I just bought some Kumho Ecsta V710’s 205/50/R15 being as i pretty much only race the car. Hopefully i will get them heat cycled properly and they wont fall apart on me. I’m going to just throw them on the fat 5’s and put the rotas on my dd and rock the stock 14’s to and from races for the time being.